Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one of us wanted to adapt a fuel cell onto our rigs to replace the stock gas tank, is it easily done?
Would it require any changes to the computer?
Are there any special changes that would have to be made in order for it to work properly?
I have a feeling that it isnt just a straight bolt up.

Sorry if my questions are stupid, i just searched online and got mostly web sites about nascar, or sites trying to sell me a fuel cell for a race car.

I just want to learn this kinda stuff in case i ever want to go that route in the future.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I've often thought of this one, and wondered about the EFI portion of the scenario. It is something that I'd definatly like to do to my trailrig.....:thumbup

·
Registered
787 Posts
Would it require any changes to the computer?
Nope

Are there any special changes that would have to be made in order for it to work properly?
That all depends on where you're going to mount it, and what type of cell you're going to run.
I don't know of any fuel cells made especially for our Broncos so figure at the very least you'll have to:

-modify the stock pump/pickup/float assembly to fit in the new cell
(probably the easiest way to go)
-the plumbing to reach the new locations of the fittings if you can use the stock (modified) pump assembly for each the vent, feed, and return lines
-The filler hose to reach the new location
-The wires to the pump, and float to reach the new location
-mounting hardware (straps, skidplate, whatever)

Just a few off the top of my head. It'll all depend on whatever fuel cell you get, and how it's set up out of the box.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Ive run fuel cells in the past in my camaros and in one of my trans ams. depedning on where you mount it, how you mount it, it would be a PITA to fill. now if you set it up like rafs, thats a whole nother story.

the hardest part is extending the fuel lines for the EFI, You'll need to bend new lines wich is where a flare and fitting tool comes in handy along with a little bender. You could probably have a shop do the lines for you for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
last i heard the cells arent road legal. they will also usually be small, and our gas gusslers need all the gas they can handle.....

just skid the tank and let it slide!

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BadassBronco said:
last i heard the cells arent road legal. they will also usually be small, and our gas gusslers need all the gas they can handle.....

just skid the tank and let it slide!
Looks like that is what I am gonna have to do.

I am evetually going to cut away the back fenders after the SAS, and the only draw back in that you see a whole lot more of that stupid looking gas tank.
Unless i ever go the Raf way, I guess I am going to have to hire someone to fab up a REAL cover someday.
Damn.

Thank you all for the info though.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
you can buy any size fuel cell you heart desires, Ive even found 32gal cells made by jaz

Ive accually be researching this a bit. what I want to do is remove the stock tank and cut a hole in the floor and mount the cell so it sits flush with the bottom of the frame rails and only sticks up a few inches into the body. why not use the stock tank you ask? The stock tank is shaped to weird to get it where I want it plus it will sit a ton higher than what raf has done since I dont have a body lift.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Thats along the lines of what I was thinking Dustin, and then cover it all the way across in the rear with a piece of metal to have an even, "new" floorboard...if theres room up by the wheel wells, I even thought about making some small boxes that go all the way to the real floor board with the new floor board flush up against the side of the box for deep tool boxes and a "flush", even look to the new floor...Clear as mud??

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,171 Posts
I've been thinking about this to. For long range cruising or a long distance off road excursion it would be great to have some added tank capacity. They make a fuel cell or fuel box, for pickup. I've seen ones at a local truck shop that hold 60 gallons, couple that with your 32 gallon stock tank and you could go a ways..I'm not sure really who makes them but they are the type made to mount up against the cab in the bed of a pick up. Mount an inline fuel delivery system with a switch and you'd be in business..I don't know about the safety factor having a huge gas tank inside your rig, or from a legal standpoint, but if you think about it, all that's separating you from the regular tank is a thin piece of steel.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dustin said:
you can buy any size fuel cell you heart desires, Ive even found 32gal cells made by jaz

Ive accually be researching this a bit. what I want to do is remove the stock tank and cut a hole in the floor and mount the cell so it sits flush with the bottom of the frame rails and only sticks up a few inches into the body. why not use the stock tank you ask? The stock tank is shaped to weird to get it where I want it plus it will sit a ton higher than what raf has done since I dont have a body lift.
Brad yup, i am here till 5:15? Why you ask? You need anything bud/

Dustin that is exactly what i had in mind. EXACTLY.
I love rafs mod, but I do not want to ever body lift, and the stock tank is odd shaped just like you mentioned. I figured if some company out there made a 30 gal tank that was shallow and more square and elongated it would work well to sit up to the frame if not just a *tad* lower. I can live with like 2 inches but the 6 feet that sticks out now blows a monkey ass.:toothless

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
I got some dimesions of the 32 gal jaz cell....one version is 34Lx17.5wx14.5D and the other is 26.5Lx18.5wx18.5d I found these on Karteks website I think these where in the 300 range. I tryed eye balling it on my rig but was hard with only one person holding the tape. by my rough estimation it wil have to sit a couple inches under the frame rail and a few in the bed. I think its acceptable. I need to call and find out what I can do about the fuel pump and vapor lines to try and keep it smog legal. I really havent figured out the filler issue yet kinda depends on the cell.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Sumit sells an RCI circle track fuel cell for $130 bucks - http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=18&s=104&p=4365&searchtype=ecat They're poly tanks, but they're cheap! :thumbup Even the RCI sending units are reasonably priced. The problem I'd have with these is, they're still 14-18" deep, whereas a pickup's fuel tank isn't. Small problem for those that use theirs as DD's is, they only hold about 19-20gls

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
I just read in the offroad mag that they dont know of a DOT legal fuel cell and they wont pass visial or smog even if everything is setup just like stock:banghead

check it out...it has some good info on cells

·
Registered
349 Posts
fuel safe makes stock replacement fuel cell for ford 150 and broncos, they are not cheap about $1200. they are one of the best. as far as smogable there are none. but there are a few guys in the desertrangers.com site the have fuel cells, and they get there trucks smoged, the smog tech you take it to has to be cool, they just use they stock gas caps because thats part to of smog and the tech passes them for more info go to desertranges.com and ask them - mike

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
yeah i know there trucks out there with cells running around on thestreet. Icantsee why it wont pass if everything is run like stock and dosent draw attention

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
OK guys, I found a 22 gal. cell in my paper for $75...I'm gonna go check it out tommorow, hell for $75 how can I pass it up??? If it's in good shape and looks like it'll fit, I'll pick it up and iron the kinks out on making it work later...:shrug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts