Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 Bronco 5.8. I am trying to change the fuel filter. I have one of those metal tools to take the quick connects off, however one of the lines just won't budge. I tried prying it and it still won't go. The lines are SS braided and the filter isn't rusty, so I don't know what to do here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have a '94 Bronco 5.8. I am trying to change the fuel filter. I have one of those metal tools to take the quick connects off, however one of the lines just won't budge. I tried prying it and it still won't go. The lines are SS braided and the filter isn't rusty, so I don't know what to do here. Any suggestions? Thanks.
1: Stop prying.

2: get a can of compressed air and some safety glasses and spray the absolute crap out of it. Dirt, small rocks, bugs, ect can get caufht up in there and not let the little "teeth" compress.

3: Once you are satisfied that all of the crap is out, hit it with some WD-40 or some PB Blaster and let it sit for a few minutes.

4: Then, give it another shot. Don't get frustrated and start to yank on it. A new line is in the $200.00 range from the dealer and they are hard to find at the junkyard (F-150 lines are different). I speak from experiance.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Make certain you're pressing the tool into the fitting as far as it'll go. The line should just pull right off after that, but use digitalbill's advice first. SeaFoam also works to loosen junk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried every which way I could think and did spray some PB Blaster in there a couple times. It is the outlet line I believe (the one toward the engine side). The inlet line came out after some convincing and now it comes off and goes on nicely but not too easily. This line I've tried taking a screwdriver and prying the fitting tool into the fitting as far as I can get it, I've tried pulling it, pushing it in and then pulling it out, etc. Nothing is seeming to work. Since it is next to the crossmember to the tranny case I don't have much pulling power to get the fitting off, which could be a good thing since I really don't want to break this line. I really hate quick fittings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts