Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 86 FSB, 302, AOD.

I just recently purchased this vehicle and am going from front to rear doing all the usual stuff, plugs, wires, fuel filter, fluids etc.

Here is my problem/concern.

Today while doing the fuel filter, or what i believed to be the fuel filter, located on the drivers side frame rail, black canister, I opened the canister and there was no filter in there...

I took this off, cleaned the canister, checked everything very well, fought with the rubber o-ring, put the filter in and got the canister back on...

I also noticed a second filter further up the rail, almost right below the firewall, this was a can type filter,,, would there be 2 filters on this vehicle?,

does the reservoir need a filter? any help will be greatly appreciated,

Chem

·
Registered
307 Posts
if it's fuel injected the second one could be your high pressure fuel pump

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I'd eliminate one Chem

The inside canister one is probably cheaper;

some say it's harder to get it to seal, but if you clean the threads each time(dry toothbrush) and use a new O-ring, like Steve says, you're golden.

It looks like someone (maybe Ford) swapped you to the newer style filter (more $$). The easiest way is to stick with the newest type, unless you want to eliminate it and use the older canister type.

I was going to update to the newer type, but given it's tougher to get at location, I'm sticking with the original 86 canister style.

Choice is yours

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, i forgot to mention it is fuel injected,

the black canister one I replaced the o-ring and added the filter, the one further up on the rail says fuel filter,,,so I figured I would ask?:scratchhe

it does look stock, and at 166,000 i am more than a little concerned

Chem

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sixlitre,

once again, you are the man,,, pics and all...

that's the one,,

I have read on a few threads here, that I am not the only one with this set up and more than one person has ran both..???

this is a first for me,,,

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Sixlitre,

once again, you are the man,,, pics and all...

that's the one,,

I have read on a few threads here, that I am not the only one with this set up and more than one person has ran both..???

this is a first for me,,,
Thanks but Steve is "the man"

we're just lackies and running dogs who wanna-be "the man" by comparison in Bronco knowledge.

Do you mean you have two canisters in-line with each other ? or do you have one canister and then the type Steve showed ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve and Sixlitre,

I have on can and on like steve showed,

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to clarify,

I have one like in your pic Sixlitre, and one like steve's pic,
the one labeled fuel pump, but i swear it said fuel filter....

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Steve and Sixlitre,

I have on can and on like steve showed,
Then I'm guessing they're just using the canister as a "junction" for the fuel line connections and the newer style one as "the fuel filter".

You could rip off the newer style one and replace the line from the front pump to the fuel rail OR stick with it and empty the canister of the other type of filter and use the newer style filter.

I'm guessing your Bronco being California spec they were probably ahed of the 87 changeover.

Do you even have a front pump on the driver's frame rail near that newer style filter ?

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
to clarify,

I have one like in your pic Sixlitre, and one like steve's pic,
the one labeled fuel pump, but i swear it said fuel filter....
The front pump is cylindrical and easily mistaken for a filter I suppose.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sixlitre and steve,,

I will double check tomorrow, and let you know exactly what is hanging down there...

You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Chem

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Sixlitre and steve,,

I will double check tomorrow, and let you know exactly what is hanging down there...

You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Chem
Oh Lord Chem !

you'd better re-word that or the quote mongers will get you for sure !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess that did sound kinda "brokeback"

sounds alot like a conversation i had with a corpsman once...

ahhh the phillipines....

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
I guess that did sound kinda "brokeback"

sounds alot like a conversation i had with a corpsman once...

ahhh the phillipines....
Ha ha ha !

I don't know anyone whose actually seen "bareback mountain" even a couple of my Les-be-friends friends. Those gals know a pile of colon-crowders and they say the same thing.

I think Holleywood is outright lying about the theatre attendance to that movie just to shove their agenda down our throats.

Of course who'd be admitting seeing that film to a Bronco owner my size ? Maybe there really are people paying good money to see it ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's the running joke at work.

if something is really screwed up or totally lame,,, it's "brokeback"

I thig the attendance numbers are way out there,

either alot of people are sneaking out late at night to watch a movie about a couple of gay guys,,, which in itself is wrong on many, many levels,, or the same group just keeps seeing it over and over..

go figure, a movie about a woman breaking up a marriage,, she is a tramp, a guy breaking up a marriage he is a bastard,, 2 gay cowboys hooking up,,, that's touching????

stop the country,,, I want to get off......

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
steve, Sixlitre

after looking again,

there is the black canister, the fuel pump and then a filter,,,,
running from the back to the front, each about 18 inches apart,,,

both the black canister and the filter are labeled fuel filter,,

the center is the fuel pump.

Chem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for some help with my '86 FSB, 302/ 5.8l, namely replaced the resevoir filter & O ring and tightened them down almost to the point of fearing that I might brake something, and still I get fuel seepage. Wondering if the O ring got moved during re-assembly or what? 'Bout ready to take the mess apart one last time & "J.B. Weld" them together!
Thanks for the all helpfull tips & tricks on this site!!

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Broncobum tipped me off regarding this extra filter I didn't know exsisted so I'll look to change it this weekend, the filter itself is donut shaped from the looks of the canister but are they all in same location on the rail up by the firewall?

Great thread, great pics!

Thanks

:enforce

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
JKossarides said:
Broncobum tipped me off regarding this extra filter I didn't know exsisted so I'll look to change it this weekend, the filter itself is donut shaped from the looks of the canister but are they all in same location on the rail up by the firewall?

Great thread, great pics!

Thanks

:enforce
Take some pics of this "third" canister in line with the pump and filter housing. I'd like to see it. Must be a CA only thing on 86s

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Steve83 said:
It's in my pic, early in this thread. :shrug

BTW
I dunno HOW I missed this before:
:histerica :lolup :histerica :lolup :histerica :lolup :histerica :lolup :histerica :lolup :histerica :lolup

You should see me scratching my head over a '99 Exploder today. :scratchhe I've pinched off the fuel supply & return lines, and the pressure stays at 65psi & the engine keeps running. :banghead
A little homage where homage is due Steve:thumbup

I was being thanked as "the man" so while I appreciated the thanks, I had to set things straight as to who really was "the man" around here.

Sounds like your Exploder is running on VooDoo !

I remember seeing a small town stealership plug in every machine they had on this new (then) 2004 Escape. You couldn't even see the vehicle for all the rolling scopes they had parked around it.

I was with the mechanic who was changing my pot metal tilt actuator and he just laughed and said "they haven't got a clue about what's wrong with it, been working on it all week, full warantee.

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 40 Posts