Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took the rail canister filter and was going to replace the filter, and i unscrewed the bowl and i couldnt remove it due to the frame being in the way.. i had to remove the whole filter assembly from the frame to remove the bowl. The filter i was given at autozone looks just like the one that came out except my filter is about twice as long as the one that i've seen everyone has been changing. Does anyone know what the part number is for this filter, the one that comes up on the computer at the parts house is the wrong one, and they are stumped on what the part number is... Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update... i went to napa auto, it called for the small one too, but come to find out my bronco had a 85 fuel filter housing from the factory, the part number is 3266 from napa if anyone needs it...

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
On my 86 302 EFI, all I need to do is remove the transfer skid plate for better access to the fuel canister "reservoir". The filter is like a hockey puck with a hole in the center which goes in hole up to the nipple in the top/cap and an O ring for the track in the bowl...

I like to use an almost dry brush with an ever so slight bit of Permatex to keep the O ring in place because it doesn't want to cooperate and if you crush it when screwing the bowl on you'll render it useless and fuel will piss out everywhere...:rofl:......lol lol

I agree that bowl is a real PITA to unscrew because there's not enough elbow room to get leverage in there...make sure when screwing it back on there are no gaps in the threads, it must seal completely tight or fuel will piss out. Also becarefull with the top/cap part with the fuel lines attached, it has a spring loaded pressure valve inside to keep the reservoir full so if it malfunctions the fuel won't flow from that point and the BKO won't start.

Originally designed to keep the fuel system from starving when cornering, up/down hill and steep Off Road angles...the reservoir housing ie: top and bowl are very difficult to find, I don 't think there are any after market versions.....

For the 86 reservoir "canister" as they refer to it with "cartridge filter" and O ring, part # 33268 by Fram listed at O'Reillys costs $7.49 + tax and the forward "in-line" metal fuel filter ahead of the forward fuel pump, part # 33097BP by Microgard listed by O'Reillys costs $11.49 + tax.

I plan on doing both mine next month.......AAAGGGHHH...it's been awhile....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
37 Posts
On my 86 I have to take off the skid plate or cover for the canister. To unscrew the cap I used an oil filter wrench which made it easier.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
You almost have to think out of the box for tools to use....lol lol, do you use the "strap/loop" style or bottom "cap" style filter wrench.....

The forward metal fuel filter is easy with those "snap lock clips" holding it together....but that reservoir "canister" bowl is a PITA because it's plastic and the threads are "pipe thread" style so it has a tight seal to prevent leaking.....a little vasoline goes a long way for screwing back on...

I did my fuel filters just about 4 years ago so it's "definately time"....doing 1 project every month to catch up, 3k Oil/Filter and new plugs in April, Transmission filter and fluid last week, PCV tomorrow and fuel filters next month....

It's a never ending task keeping older rigs on the go but it's worth it IMO..:rofl:

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Well got my forward "in-line fuel filter" changed in like 10 minutes today and when I fired it up cold, WOW the idle dropped right down so there is a difference with new filters. I even saved the fuel in the old filter and strained it thru a paper towel and put it back in the gas tank.......lol lol....probably get the "reservoir" canister done over next the several days, it's a bit more involved taking off the skid plate etc.....

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Hey fixxor, looks like our BKO's are similar in color with the Red/Tan though my BKO is a 2 tone, all Tan with Red on Tan sides etc., wierd how Ford thought that was good idea just cheaper I guess....lol lol....

·
Registered
7 Posts
So glad these forums stay up..I was told that the canister thing waas part of the evap system..I couldnt find my fuel filter. Now I see that the canister thing is my fuel filter. I still dont see one between the high pressure pump and intake thoigh..but i can add one... heheheheh

·
Registered
24 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with a good alternative to the stock reservoir/filter?
Or as an alternative, a repair for a broken nipple?
I had to apply an impact driver to remove the guard plate and the vibrations caused the rear return nipple to develop a leak.
On closer inspection after complete removal it was obvious that the nipple had been cracked for some time as evidenced by the rust line in the plastic.
I guess the vibration was the last straw. Better to find out while in the shop.

I was thinking that if I had a nipple with the locking flange on it and a threaded nipple on the other end, I could tap the reservoir housing and screw the new nipple into it.
So, along this line of thinking, is there any such repair item or similar?
If not, what have some others done about the problem of no replacement available?

·
Registered
1986 Bronco 302 and 1996 Bronco 351
24 Posts
Really sucks that these forms aren’t active anymore. But you can find Help on Facebook to some degree. But nothing like this forum used to be sadly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts