Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve83, I hope you see this post.

I have read through many posts concerning various fuel delivery problems and I would like to ask you for your advice.

Here is the problem, my truck usually goes through one fuel filter per year. However, in 2005 it went through 3 fuel filters. Now, in the past two weeks I have replaced three fuel filters. One lasted one week. Another lasted two days and the third lasted about 5 to 8 miles. I saved the first two for a theory I have.

Typically when I replace a filter, I drain the gas out to check for debris and/or discoloration of the gas. After draining the one being replaced I gently blow through it in the direction of the gas flow to see how clogged it may be.

The filters I saved from the last couple of replacements did not seem to be very clogged but they were not as clear as a new filter. After a week or less the air flowed more freely through them. My theory is that the fuel filter is getting vapor locked or there might be another problem.....other than rust or crap in the gas tank.

The filter that was on the truck for 5 to 8 miles go me home to my driveway at such time the truck sputtered and stalled. This is the usual indication that it is time to change the fuel filter. However, I had just changed it. Thinking back to the first time I experienced this problem, I waited about 30 minutes and the truck started and drove just fine. So I tried that again. The truck started and so far is running just fine.....Knock On Wood.

Per your advice to someone on a FSB post, I replaced the fuel pump relay yesterday (3-13-06).

The truck has 256K miles and as far as I know, original gas tank, sending unit (gas gauge does not work), and fuel pumps.

I have not checked the fuel pressure, but even after tripping the inertia switch, when I disconnect the gas line from the fuel filter it seems to have good pressure.

Here are my thoughts of what the problem may be...from my limited knowledge and experience:

1.) Rust/trash is the gas tank....solution.....replace tank

2.) Fuel filter may be vapor locking....solution.......???

3.) Replace fuel pump relay....solution...did it yesterday....although I did not have access to a Bosch relay. I will be getting one soon.

What are your thoughts?

Other folks are more than welcome to offer advice as well.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me with this.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
My thoughts are change your title to put an accurate description of your problem so when people dos earch they can find it easier. Steve doesnt read posts with his name in it as fast as ones with a legit problem in it.

as for the answer to your problem. i dont think it is the fuel filter. you can not get vapor lock in a fuel filter. i think you should run some diagnoctics at your truck before you start assuming fuel filter.

When was the last time the timing chain was replaced? Have you actually tested fuel pressure? Have you checked to make sure the Fuel pressure regulator was working properly? Have you tested your injectors?(if it is EFI)

for a fuel filter to get clogged in 8 days you got some serious shit floating around in your tank i would make sure that is what is causing it and go from there. just me though i know my name aint steve but there you go

·
0 Posts
Drive till damn near empty, drop tank. Look inside for mystery crap.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
check the fuel pressure on the rail...the filter isnt the problem...

if the tank is problematic JBG sells a plastic one for 130...ive had no problems with it yet...also when you drop it...mark and cut an access panel in the floor for the pump...
if fuel pressure is below 30psi...time for a pump id say
any leaks/??? bad ground for the FP???

check your wiring going to the fuel pump

dc

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
BroncoTx said:
Steve83, I hope you see this post.

I have read through many posts concerning various fuel delivery problems and I would like to ask you for your advice.

Here is the problem, my truck usually goes through one fuel filter per year. However, in 2005 it went through 3 fuel filters. Now, in the past two weeks I have replaced three fuel filters. One lasted one week. Another lasted two days and the third lasted about 5 to 8 miles. I saved the first two for a theory I have.

Typically when I replace a filter, I drain the gas out to check for debris and/or discoloration of the gas. After draining the one being replaced I gently blow through it in the direction of the gas flow to see how clogged it may be.

The filters I saved from the last couple of replacements did not seem to be very clogged but they were not as clear as a new filter. After a week or less the air flowed more freely through them. My theory is that the fuel filter is getting vapor locked or there might be another problem.....other than rust or crap in the gas tank.

The filter that was on the truck for 5 to 8 miles go me home to my driveway at such time the truck sputtered and stalled. This is the usual indication that it is time to change the fuel filter. However, I had just changed it. Thinking back to the first time I experienced this problem, I waited about 30 minutes and the truck started and drove just fine. So I tried that again. The truck started and so far is running just fine.....Knock On Wood.

Per your advice to someone on a FSB post, I replaced the fuel pump relay yesterday (3-13-06).

The truck has 256K miles and as far as I know, original gas tank, sending unit (gas gauge does not work), and fuel pumps.

I have not checked the fuel pressure, but even after tripping the inertia switch, when I disconnect the gas line from the fuel filter it seems to have good pressure.

Here are my thoughts of what the problem may be...from my limited knowledge and experience:

1.) Rust/trash is the gas tank....solution.....replace tank

2.) Fuel filter may be vapor locking....solution.......???

3.) Replace fuel pump relay....solution...did it yesterday....although I did not have access to a Bosch relay. I will be getting one soon.

What are your thoughts?

Other folks are more than welcome to offer advice as well.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me with this.
256k, fuel "not as clean" after replacing filters, seem pretty simple, buy new pump, at same time you will be able to look down into tank to see how much junk you have floating in there, likely a good idea for new tank. that's a long way to go if you actually have the same pump. on my '95 pump died at about 70k, though that could be out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RLKBOB said:
:twak I answered the same post in the 80-96 forum. You only need to post one time, we will find it.
:duh I figured as much. :whiteflag

Thanks for the advice RLKBOB. I'll do the pressure & diagnostic checks and drop the tank as a last resort.

So far the truck is running fine....Knock on Wood......although I will be doing the checks soon.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
do a search for injector rebuild as well. that could help as well

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
...and check for codes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last week I did the fuel pressure test both while idleing and while driving. At idle it was 36-37 psi and while driving is was 45-48 psi, I don't remember exactly. The fuel line did not have any air in it at the time.

I was talking to a friend that is a mechanic and he said it was probably vapor locking due to the combination of winter grade fuel and the heat we have in Texas.

The winter grade fuel vaporizes faster and in higher outside temperatures (80-95 or higher.....yes we have that in the winter down here :thumbup ) the air caused by the vaporizing causes the truck to vapor lock.

He suggested that I put a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in every other tank of gas.

I going to try it out and see how the truck does. If it vapor locks again, he'll do a diagnostic check for me to see what codes it has.

Thanks y'all for all the advice. :rockon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts