Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel Filter Replacement / Details of Problem w/ Truck

I am going to replace my fuel filter tonight in the hopes of solving the latest issue on the Bronco. I searched the Tech files and came across one thread about the process, although it was not too terribly detailed. Just wondering if there is anything special I need to do or look out for during this replacement. (I am wondering if the relative ease of this job is why there is not much written about it).
Since it is forecast to be in the teens tonite by the time I get home to do this, I wanted to try to make sure I did not run into any unforeseen issues.
Thanks!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,268 Posts
You'll need a special tool to release the couplings on the fuel filter. You can get them at NAPA or Discount for like $10 bucks. Just make sure you release the fuel pressure before you do this or you will get gas all over yourself, also wear some eye protections.

You should find the filter along the driver's side frame rail, almost underneath the rear of the door.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,268 Posts
On the fuel rail near the intake manifold, there is a pintle valve (looks like a tire valve). You'll need to depress the valve with small screwdriver or something, watch out when you do this because gas will shoot straight up in the air.

·
Super Moderator
29,856 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
jermil01 said:
On the fuel rail near the intake manifold, there is a pintle valve (looks like a tire valve). You'll need to depress the valve with small screwdriver or something, watch out when you do this because gas will shoot straight up in the air.
I never do this. Use the tool, and a towel. Then the gas leaks on the ground instead of spewing into the engine compartment. It really does not shoot out, just leaks a lot.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,268 Posts
Cut off valve?? I never heard of that. So it's right next to the brake pedal? I'll have to remember this the next time I do my fuel filter.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to put off replacing the fuel filter until tonight or tomorrow - too damn cold and I want to get that tool today at lunch.
I will probably do as "thejuice" suggested and use the tool and a towel.
Since the truck will not turn over, I can not use the cut off and run it til it dies.
I appreciate all of the info!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truck limped home on Monday night and now will not run. About a half mile from home when I went to accelerate, the truck acted as if it did not want to go, but did eventually get up speed and RPMs. By this time I had no more stops to make to get home and was able to more or less coast it home. The check engine light came on and when I got it to the driveway and let it idle in park it did not sound like it was skipping or missing a beat, however there was a great deal of smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes. Once it turned it off, I restarted it and the same thing (lots of smoke/exhaust). Later that night I was going to pull the codes with my code reader and the engine would not turn over (the instructions stated to let the engine run for 2 minutes before beginning test). It did not matter as I could not get the code reader to pull any codes.
Needless to say I thought that it sounded as if the truck was not getting any gas and therefore I figured I would start with replacing the fuel filter. I will be quite surprised if the problem is fixed with simply replacing the fuel filter.
So to respond to your original statement about the truck not being run, it has not been run since Monday night.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,268 Posts
Do you hear your fuel pump come on when you turn the key to the on position but don't start it. I'm thinking your problem might be with your fuel pump. Just a thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Crazed said:
you can also pop the cut off that is on the inside of the firewall by the brake pedal, then run it till it dies.

The cleanest way to relieve the pressure is to do what Crazed said. This way only limited fuel will spill when you change the filter. On my '92 the cutoff valve was behind the passenger side kick panel just in front of the passenger door. If I remember right it can be popped with a straight blade screwdriver. Good luck :thumbup

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do indeed hear the fuel pump come on. I don't know the average life span of a fuel pump, but mine was replaced about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What do you mean by "smoke"? That could be a clue to your problem. What color was it? No fuel will not make smoke.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i just replaced my fuel filter last week. before you buy any tool i would check to see if the original set up for holding the filter in is still there. mine had a big a$$ hose clamp holding it in (makes for a quick install). i would open the fuel cut-off switch and release the pressure from the pintle valve. when i did mine i just opened the cut-off switch cranked the engine till it would'nt start, and i still got spray (thanks to my trusty safety glasses i can still see). :thumbup .
the smoke and sluggish pwr sound's like it could be a clogged cat. i dont think that would make it not start though. good luck

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Smoke" was coming out of both exhaust pipes. It was already dark outside so it was difficult to tell what color maybe white/gray. I know that it definitely stank!
I am starting with the fuel filter only because it acted like it was not getting gas and I do not have any idea when the last time it was replaced. I have had the truck for over three years and have never changed the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you're getting a CE light, check out FireGuy's site at http://fordfuelinjection.com/selftest.html

I did it when I first bought my bronco. It was running like crap, so I got it nice and cheap. Then I ran this test (really easy) and replaced a cheap sensor. Now she runs great.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
D-diesel - my 1991 is fuel injected. I bought the "tool" at lunch today, it was only $5 so it is not that big of a loss if it is not needed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TCRIMSONK - thanks for the link. Since I can not seem to get the digital code reader to work, I guess I will try it this way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts