Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i bought my 1996 5.0L Bronco about a month ago, there were a host of things wrong with it. It had no has in it so i put 10$ just to get it home. The meter didnt move at all, but i figured there simply wasnt enough gas in it. Im used to my 15 gallon mustang tank, not a 33 gallon truck. Anyways, after changing the gas tank (old one was rotted horribly) i put close to 13-14 gallons in, which should have given me well over at least a 1/4 tank. But the gas meter only rises a little bit above the red line.

Even while driving, the meter goes below the line, then back up a little past it. It seems a bit odd. :shrug

·
Super Moderator
27,002 Posts
yo,
My 96's gauge has always been that way since new; it would indicate more Accurately between full and half tank range, then drop-off quickly as tank emptied;

See my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=921
for such as;

"There is a yellow wire with a white tracer coming off the fuel sender to the gauge The easiest way to ck the gauge and wiring is to disconnect the y/w wire and ground the wire on the dash side of the wire. If you can slide your hand up on top of the tank and disconnect the pump and ground out the y/w wire turn the key on and watch the gauge, if the gauge goes up (FULL), suspect; open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire..."
Source: by miesk5

Testing in a 96; from 96 EVTM; disconnect pump/sender connector & test
"...With the sending unit float arm in the empty stop position, resistance should be 15 Ohms (below E). With the sending unit float arm in the full stop position, resistance should be 160 Ohms (above F). The fuel gauge should read at; 22.5 Ohms Empty & 145 Ohms Full..."
Source: by miesk5 at FSB

Testing, Pin Point in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
In addition to miesk's suggestion, perhaps check the float that is attached to the in tank pump assembly for pinholes. I cut an access panel in the bed so it's a piece of cake for me, but I don't know if I'd drop the tank just to check...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts