Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Wrecker Driver
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead I just replaced the fuel pump, tank, sending unit and straps on my 1990 302. The fuel guage is going crazy now, it jumps from empty fo full. I only put 4 gallons of gas in it. WHAT THE HELL, I JUST WORKED IN THE RAIN TO GET IT TO RUN TODAY AND NOW THIS!!!!??? :banghead

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
check your gorunds.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
you replaced the in-tank fuel pump? are you sure you hooked up the wires to the sending unit firmly?
mine did the same thing when the sending unit was going bad...
ace

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Since you just replaced the sender, it sounds like a connection problem.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
same exact thing happened to me.

i replaced the sending unit- twice. still, whenever the tank was below 1/4, the gauge would bounce all over the place like that. above 1/4 it worked fine.

i just kept the tank above 1/4 and lived with it...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
jackhart said:
same exact thing happened to me.

i replaced the sending unit- twice. still, whenever the tank was below 1/4, the gauge would bounce all over the place like that. above 1/4 it worked fine.

i just kept the tank above 1/4 and lived with it...
Mine does the same. The first went bad when it became cold in the winter. The second worked fine until the winter and then went bad.

It could be a bad connection somewhere. The pump and sender wires go through the connectors on the DS inner fender. They are in different connectors so it may pay to clean them all up.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The Ford dealer replaced my sending unit and pump, then the gauge became erratic. This went on for about a week then stopped and has been normal for about a year. I'd give it some time before I took it apart.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my gas gauge jumps around after changing the gas tank on my 90 with a 351 and i checked the plug on the tank and it seams to be tightdoes any one know what wires are what i have a black witch i asume is the ground and i also have a red,orange and a yellow wire and cant find the wiring diagram in the book

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
wlightaul said:
my gas gauge jumps around after changing the gas tank on my 90 with a 351 and i checked the plug on the tank and it seams to be tightdoes any one know what wires are what i have a black witch i asume is the ground and i also have a red,orange and a yellow wire and cant find the wiring diagram in the book
Black would be a fuel tank ground and yellow is the sender signal. My plug only has three and the other is red, powering the low pressure fuel pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts