Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked for answers to this problem but im pretty dumb when it come to resistors, relays and all that other stuff. Ok, i have a 1988 E.B Bronco 302 EFI, auto trans,& my fuel gauge is stuck past the full mark. It allways shows full even with the truck off or on. Is my problem the sender or is my gauge bad or do i have a broke wire somewhere? please help if you can. should i pay someone to figure out this problem or can i do it myself? I did install my own security system in it had to use relays for the doorlocks, you think if i can do this is the fuel gauge pretty simple?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I believe you may have a broken wire of bad sender. I noticed while working on mine that if I disconnected the sender the guage would peg on full.

Check the connectors on the drivers side inner fender.

·
Banned
22,427 Posts
There's only 1 wire from the gauge to the sender - Y/Wh. You have an open circuit (high resistance) somewhere, but it's most likely just corrosion on a connector. It could be on the back of the cluster, under the dash, at the frame rail, or at the tank. Usually, disconnecting & reconnecting them will break the corrosion off & allow it to work, but it's better to clean them & apply silicone grease.

If it's not a connector, the next most likely spot would be the sender inside the tank, but you should DIAGNOSE it before dropping the tank; you'll need a multimeter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is slightly related. I stalled out on the Interstate leaving Richmond once. I had to get towed to a gas station because it wouldnt turn over. I had gone 150 miles on the tank, so I 'knew' i wasnt out of gas. Turns out my sending unit is stuck up a little high. 1/4 tank= empty for me.

10 gallons of gas fixed the problem.

Yours, obviously, is a little more complicated.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
I have the same problem! I tried to take the guage cluster out but don't have enough slack in the speedo cable to reach behind and disconnect it. Any advice on how to get it out (the cluster)

·
Banned
22,427 Posts
Go under the truck, pull the cable's slack to the front, & push it up thru the grommet in the firewall. Then you can pull the cluster out enough to disconnect it.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok now i have been without my fuel gauge since i first posted this gauge problem. Now today on my way to work the gauge needle started moving, it would bounce from the full mark to the half mark back down past the full mark then stop at the halfway mark. when its at the half way mark and i put it in drive or reverse and stomp the gas pedal it starts bouncing again. Is this still a sender problem, ground problem? havent had the money to get it fixed but its showing signs of life. could it be an easy fix?

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
it has to be the wire, on my explorer i had to drop the tank, and the float on the sending unit was bad and filled up with gas and sunk. $4 later it was fixed, instead of buying a new fuel pump. but thats opposite of your case

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok now these are long wires. how do i find the broken wire? do i need to drop the tank? ive tried running these wires down, i get to the transmisson then i get lost. can anyone tell me the easiest and cheapest way to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
try checkin the wire for continuity (sp) may be long but im sure you could figure a way to do that. and if it comes back okay (meaning wire conducts and works) then look @ ur sending unit.

my gauge decides to after its gets below a 1/4 of a tank to start peggin at full. or start fluxuating(sp)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
may be what steve83 said. a loose or coroded wire on the connections.

if your gonna check get a continuity tester. as that will narrow the wire out of the equation at least.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah test that wire to the top of the fuel tank. Dropping the tank is a PITA. I bought a sender from the dealer for about $40 two years ago. Prove that wire first.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ummm i dont know how to use a volt meter, can i use a wire test light to see if im getting power to the wire? dont want to cause an explosion or anything.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Disconnect the connector at the fuel tank,ground the yellow with white tracer wire(make sure you have a good ground),turn the key on-if the gauge goes to empty,chances are,the fuel sender is the problem.If the gauge doesn't move,then recheck the grounding of the y/wt wire,if it is good then the problem is is forward of the sender(wiring/connectors/instrument cluster).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I called dealer for a sending unit on my 88 bronco 2 bills now damn the is steep might just have to us the trip milage and go from there.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Maybe the "Gas Ferry" is filling up your bronco at nite while you sleep? :rofl: :histerica :toothless

Sorry, couldnt resist....I would defenitely check your wires going to the sender as Steve mentioned. It may be grounding out and showing Full all the time.....

Good Luck

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I understand correctly this wire should read 0 ohms of resistance. and I need to access it from behind the dash cluster and the plug on the tank..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts