Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago we had some freezing weather for a few days. The entire time we had these cold temps my fuel gauge was reading empty even though I know I had 3/4 of a tank. The first day we hit above 40 deg. my gauge started reading 1/4 tank. The next day we were in the 60's and my gauge went right back to working correctly and has done so ever since. I've owned this truck for almost 3 years and the gauge has always worked perfectly, even in the cold of winter. I checked the wiring connections around the tank and everything looked ok, nice and tight.

My guess is that the float in the tank has a hole and whatever is inside it froze which made the float sink to the bottom of the tank. When the weather warmed back up it thawed out and started working like it should. Does this sound correct? Anyone else ever had this exact problem before?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
My guess is that the float in the tank has a hole and whatever is inside it froze which made the float sink to the bottom of the tank. When the weather warmed back up it thawed out and started working like it should. Does this sound correct? Anyone else ever had this exact problem before?
I would *guess* that it doesn't have hole in, just because if it did, it should read the same regardless of weather tempature. I suppose if there was water in the gas, technically when it got cold out, maybe it got on the contacts that the gauge reads, and froze. When the water froze over the contacts, the current couldn't be read, and thats what made it read empty.

Just a shot in the dark, not sure, but its a guess.

Be happy yours even works....mumble grumble....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just another thought--- voltage regulators are a sensitive mistress, the cold could have affected it in an adverse way.

And I'd skip the whole "hole" theory. Yer gas isnt going to freeze, and the specific gravity of gas and a float full of gas is going to change the same as temperature drops (minus minimal float values)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did it again with our freezing temps overnight and all day today. After 3 weeks of warm weather and the fuel gauge reading correct. I know the tank is full to the top and the gauge is back to empty. I'm sure that when it warms up outside the gauge will start reading correct again.

Anyone else have any ideas as to whats going on here??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally fixed this today. Dropped the tank. Brass float on the sending unit was 3/4 full of gas. Couldn't find a float at any of the local dealers so I ordered a sending unit from Rockauto.com, correct Motorcraft part and $20 cheaper, with shipping, than the dealer wanted for a part they had to order anyways.

Fuel gauge worked fine all this past year but as soon as it got cold around Thanksgiving it went to E and stayed there. I'm not even going to try and guess why the cold made it do this everytime.

Just wanted to post up the final results in case anyone else runs across this thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just called someone about my 92 doing the same thing today. It's the coldest it's been in FL in a VERY long time so neither me nor the previous owner ever noticed this. I'm glad I decided to come on FSB to search the problem.

I searched rockauto.com and think I found the right part (Motorcraft part #PS22)

BTW: Cold for FL is currently 34* with an overnight low of 30* w/o wind chill which is actually howling at the moment

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, that's it. Sorry I didn't put the part number in my update post. The sending unit will come with a new float attached and the rubber gasket for the top of the tank. I used the pictorial writeup by Steve83 to do the work. Look in his EFI fuel pump album.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts