Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the fuel gauge isnt working it only reads empty or full. when i put anything about $15 dollars in gas in it it goes completely full then after running that tank for awhile it will go completely empty. i would have to guess its in the sending unit or the gauge itself anybody else have had this problem?

·
Registered
239 Posts
sending unit

Good news, it is probably just your sending unit, I had the same thing happen.

Bad news, you have to drop your gas tank to change it.

More bad news, when I changed mine, it wasn't sold seperatly from the fuel pump, so it was $$$ when I did it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok yeah that was my guess but wasnt sure. i also saw that u had to buy the fuel pump too. i will go out tomorrow and pick up one and see if that does the trick. thanks

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
i bought my sending unit/ in-tank fuel pump for like $98.
ive yet to drop the tank and install it- but im pretty sure steve has a writeup in his sig link.
ace

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
2 years ago I bought a new sending unit and installed it in my Bronco. IIRC it was about $45 and DID NOT include the pump. I am still using my original pump. Finances at the time prevented me from replacing both.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
1,304 Posts
My fuel pump is external. I had a hole in my tank, the sending unit was rusted in, and I couldn't afford to buy everything, so I had to use epoxy resin to coat the tank and reinstalled it. No problems 1 year later.

Still doesn't read right, but I'm possibly going to sell it due to gas prices. Otherwise keep it as a second vehicle, if I can afford it. It's starting to show more rust, and I'd probably have to do an off-frame restoration to it, so I might just wait and see if my brother will open his own shop or work at one and be able to get an older Bronco and fix it up. I don't like this style front-end the best, I'd rather have an 80-86, or an older Bronco. It all just depends on where we're at in the next few years.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You should have a fuel pump on the rail, that is your high pressure pump, there is also one in your tank, it is a high volume pump, My truck actually will run with just the one on the frame rail, but when you tank get real low, you may not get enough fuel through your system. When I had to replace it, there wasn't much options for buying the sending unit, I had to go to the dealer and it only came one way, all or nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts