Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was wondering what exactly I would need to swap my carburator and stock manifold on my '85 over to the multi-point injection from, say, an '89. I know the basic stuff, like the manifold, all that, but I was wondering what else. Maybe someone who has done this kind of swap? I beleive the '89 had Speed-density rather than MAF. Also, how troublesome will the wiring be? Would it be hard to wire it up to a truck that has had most of the wiring in the engine compartment stripped away?
Anyways, any help in this matter would be apperciated.
-Chris ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd yank the harness from an 85 or 86 302 truck, get your 351 manifolds and computer of an 87+ truck and have at it. The swap shouldn't be too terrible, most of the harness should plug right in to the 3 factory connectors. You'll probably need the computer mount under the column also.
Just check out fordfuelinjection.com, Fireguy50 has an entire artical on the swap.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
1. complete fuel system from a FI bronco (tank, lines, fuel pump)
2. upper and lower intake with fuel rails and injectors.
3. air cleaner and hoses
4. computer/wiring harness
5. misc brackets/fuses/relays
6. look for my thread on swapping to FI....I also switched to a serpentine belt setup at the same time.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
That system is for a boat. Painless had to do a recall on many of them.
Do a factory EFI swap, much better quality, easier to work on, and easier to get tech help.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah. i could probably find a good deal on a donor car around here.
so, i take it i would have to keep my cat-converter? also, how hard was the wiring? i looked at your thread, and you didn't go into much detail about the wiring.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
yeah. i could probably find a good deal on a donor car around here.
so, i take it i would have to keep my cat-converter? also, how hard was the wiring? i looked at your thread, and you didn't go into much detail about the wiring.
yes you need a cat if you going to smog it or if you state requires it...I did not do a tech write up persay because I am pretty lousy on documentation (once I get started i hate stopping) the wiring was the hardest part but thanks to the haynes manual and FIREGUY50 I was able to work thru it.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
ah, ok. so, do you know if the '87-'91 bronco's came with serpentine?
If its fuel injected it has a serpentine belt...iirc the carb models had v-belts
couple of other items you will need...
1. FI distributer
2. new waterpump and timing cover if going serpentine, if not you will need a fuel pump block of plate.
3. New fan clutch and blade (the blade is backwards compared to the carb model) :doh0715: dont ask me how I figured that out...:cry

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so, i would have to ditch my HEI? im sure most of the parts i would need would be on a good donor truck. i would have to find a donor truck that cant quite be saved, so then i wouldn't be tempted to fix it up instead lol.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
so, i would have to ditch my HEI? im sure most of the parts i would need would be on a good donor truck. i would have to find a donor truck that cant quite be saved, so then i wouldn't be tempted to fix it up instead lol.
help me out here what is HEI?
And thats the exact reason I bought the 92...just for the FI parts, but believe me, it was tough not to just fix the donor and have two broncos:cry

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Yes, you have to ditch the HEI distributor for a TFI style distributor.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
help me out here what is HEI?
And thats the exact reason I bought the 92...just for the FI parts, but believe me, it was tough not to just fix the donor and have two broncos:cry
hahaha. its a toss up. i would feel really bad to part out a "donor truck" if it was in better overrall condition than mine lol. of course, worse comes to worse, and it is better, i swap the FI stuff onto the motor in my '85, then put that back into the newer one, and then put my dads old 300ci in the '85 lol.

·
Registered
777 Posts
or, you could build yourself a system that can handle any modification and be completely tune-able.

www.msefi.com

Currently I have been running my setup for 2 years with no problems. The awesome thing about this system is that, once you set it up, you have educated yourself about the system.

There are no exotic ingredients to the setup. You could use 90% of the stock injection components that make up the Ford EFI system, and use the MSEFI computer to control fuel and spark.

just my opinion.

Steve

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Hey Borflink... quick question... how do you have your MS setup for the stock IAC? Last thing I remember reading was that they didn't have support for duty cycle controlled IACs, and that the farthest they'd gone was with stepper-IACs...

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Don't forget you must add an O2 bung in the exhaust. I'd do it right below one of the collectors. Then, if you go MAF later, you just install another under the other collector. That is the route I went and I just recently wired in the A9P computer for MAF. No more idle issues with my 112* lobe separation cam!

·
Registered
777 Posts
MS 2 is out and well beta tested. Full IAC both ford and GM supported. Nearly any ignition option is supported as well. I'm still running MS1 on the bronco, but I've set up MS2 systems on a 67 'cruiser with a small block cheby, and a turbo VW sandrail running E-85. This system has matured really well.

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts