Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys i've been looking around onm here for a while and have a few ideas but would just like to clarify and ask a few more questions. SO i just bought a bronco yesterday its an 1988 that just had a rebuilt trans and motor put in 2 years ago. I bought it off a neighbor who has no use for it because he fixed it up for his son but his son bought a new truck and nobody drives the bronco anymore. Well we went to crank it up and it wouldnt start. couldnt hear either fuel pump cutting on and there was only a little bit of gas coming out of the fuel pressure valve on the fuel rail. Very low pressure or hardly any. So things i've checked so far are the inertia switch under the brake pedal and i bought a fuel relay bc i was already at advance auto and it was only $11 but i have no clue were it goes cas i cant find a relay box under the hood like most cars. I think I would need to check the grounds to see if there loss or have a bad connection but have no idea were they would be located? any specific ground i need to look at and were do i need to look to find it? I also dropped the tank today and am going to replace the fuel pump assembly because i think i might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone bc the fuel gauge is also acting funny it shows way high. Money's not a huge problem bc the guy i bought it from told me to bring him reciepts and he'd reinbusrt my money back. But i only have about 200 and i dont want to spend it all and still not fix the problem. Oh it has a 5.0 and an automatic transmission. Also it ran great when it was parked, i actually road it in the last time it was drove cas im friends with the guys son. I really need your help guys cas im trying to get it on the road cas i need a vehicle. ANy help/suggestions is greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Relays are RIGHT behind airbox on driver's side. They are more than likely under a little black hood. You're stock FP relay should be green.

You need to pull codes that could help diagnose a bad fuel pump. Also you have two fuel pumps one on the rail and one in the tank. Make sure you replace the right one. You can jump the relay and see if the FP primes or you can take it off and hook it up to a battery to make sure it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i dropped the tank and tested the pump it was bad and i can hear the one under the driver seat prime. My only question is now where is this relay lol. I know that normally most vehicles have a black box on the driver side but i swear this one doesnt. i've looked and looked, there is absolutely no relay box under the under unless its higly not visible. oh and thanks for the reply man

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Check to see if you have a fuel "reservoir" on the drivers frame rail under the transfer case skid plate, ahead of the gas tank sending/pump unit and before the forward fuel pump/fuel filter....

It has a hockey puck filter with a hole in the center that goes in hole up along with an O ring inside. The OEM design has a spring loaded valve in the top part where the fuel lines connect so the "reservoir" stays full at cornering or steep angles when Off Roading, preventing fuel starvation etc......if that valve is dirty, stuck or broken ....the fuel won't flow to the forward fuel pump or beyond ....check the filter/O ring and replace....

"Fuel injectors" are redundant and as long as they have voltage they will spray fuel..

Put a fuel pressure guage on the FPR = fuel pressure regulator, located on the drivers side fuel rail towards the back..

IIRC my relay is located just near the firewall, drivers side close to the hood spring hindge....?

Check here for relay location: www.broncolinks.com.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i found that relay. it was under a black piece that was bolted to the airbox lol never seen that before. thanks for all yals help i'm gonna go check that resivor also

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
thanks guys i found that relay. it was under a black piece that was bolted to the airbox lol never seen that before. thanks for all yals help i'm gonna go check that resivor also
Post #2, first sentence told you where your relay was.

and replace both fuel filters on it. chances are the one between the 2 pumps is factory orginal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i know for some reson i expected the hood to flip up like on the newer vehicles but intead i had to unbolt it and flip the whole piece over lol. So problem still not fixed i changed the relay but i still cant get either fuel pump to turn on. I have absolutley no clue now. correct me if im wrong but shouldnt i be able to hear the relay click if its working. Cas its definatly not clicking and neither fuel pump is engageing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts