Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I bought a 79 f250,super cab trailer special with 460, auto. today I finally got a chance to take it out for a nice test run before spring and I loved it as much as my Broncos. The p.o. told me that when he pulled a trailer with it sometimes it would act like it was running out of gas so he installed an electric fuel pump and when it would do it he would just turn on the pump and it was fine, but today it would act like that on any uphill climbs or if I took it past 70 mph. It runs awesome on level ground and under 70. It has a carter afb competition series carb. and I am thinking that it is possibly a stuck/misadjusted float and just wanted to here from some of you that might have had this problem. I am going out tomorrow to remove the extra pump and fix a couple of other things and will make an attempt to fix this as well. Thanks

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,200 Posts
Had a similar problem before, replaced my fuel filter and it solved it.
:stupid It has trouble at high fuel demand times only, so the filter is the 1st thing (Read cheap & easy) to check. Since you just got the truck, it probably should be swapped out anyway. If it is the filter, it'll just get worse & act up at lower speeds & on smaller hills.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Fuel filter is a 'must check' item.

But when my '78 was acting stupid, exactly as you described, it turned out to be a dry-rotted rubber fuel line on the suction side between pump and tank. It did not leak..but it did suck air when the engine was running. About drove me crazy trying to find the problem but just before I was getting ready to install a fuel pressure guage in the dash (so I could see what it was under load..the only time it would fall on its face) the stupid line finally deteriorated to the point where it DID start leaking an I found the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fuel filter is a 'must check' item.

But when my '78 was acting stupid, exactly as you described, it turned out to be a dry-rotted rubber fuel line on the suction side between pump and tank. It did not leak..but it did suck air when the engine was running. About drove me crazy trying to find the problem but just before I was getting ready to install a fuel pressure guage in the dash (so I could see what it was under load..the only time it would fall on its face) the stupid line finally deteriorated to the point where it DID start leaking an I found the problem.
I would replace the pump to carb line to(after yesterdays fire-Bill i got the 78 running now i need a new wiring harness and evaporator housing!!:doh0715:) if one is bad it would be a good idea to replace all of them and its cheap!!

fire is bad!!:shocked

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I would replace the pump to carb line to(after yesterdays fire-Bill i got the 78 running now i need a new wiring harness and evaporator housing!!:doh0715:) if one is bad it would be a good idea to replace all of them and its cheap!!

fire is bad!!:shocked
Got both here. I know its a long ride and all...but..A twelve of Corona seems a fair trade.:toothless

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got both here. I know its a long ride and all...but..A twelve of Corona seems a fair trade.:toothless
That sounds great Bill-- but i only know how to count by the case!!:drinkbud
are you going to be around next weekend? I get to spend some time with my boys today(they are in bed when i get home)!:toothless

SORRY YOU MAY HAVE YOUR THREAD BACK NOW!! BUT I DID HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM LAST WEEK AND IT WAS A DRY ROTTED FUEL LINE!! 3/8 TANK TO PUMP!!!:thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o.k. I went out and checked the fuel lines today and the one that connects to the front tank is bad and leaking at the connection to the tank, but it acts the same whether its the front or rear tank that I use,so my plan is to replace all the lines and the filter. I also noticed that the electric pump once turned on never shuts itself off no matter what tank is used and even if the engine is not running. do the carter carbs have a filter where the fuel line attaches or just the one thats in line between the stock pump and carb? Thanks all for your input I really appreciate your help. I only paid $950 for the truck so I don't mind the small things I need to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the lines and the filter and it runs a ton better, Thanks to all of you for your input. on another note, I decided to check the radio thats in it to see why it wouldn't pick up any stations and found what looks to be the original factory cb antenna is still there. the wire runs from the antenna to a small siver box that says its for 40 ch. cb and then runs to behind the radio where it has a connection for a cb. to bad the po removed the cb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts