Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace this gauge it's constantly reading empty. I called a local garage and they say the sending unit and pump are the same unit. 500.00 cost for replacement.

My research says that this is a separate unit than the pump and the part averages about 40 bucks.

Is this guy scamming me, just wrong, or both!?!

(33 gallon stock tank on my eddie bauer 95)

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I dont know about a 95 but my 91 is 2 peices my sender is good but reads E all the time. Damn the gas inside the float. A new float for my problem is $14.95 from ford. I just wish I had the money when I put the fuel pump in now I do and gotta drop the tank again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My old 93 was 2 pieces. The local dealership wanted to replace pump and sending unit for 600. Their policy is to do both to make sure you arent back for a pump. I did the float only for 12.50 on my 90.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is not the same part. Many aftermarket pumps (alone) are available, I have replaced mine in 94 and it pulls off the sender manifold. The gotcha is they may not have an aftermarket sender available. If you want to be fancy, the pump technically disassembles one step further, the Walbro pump itself is inside the big white plastic bucket. which can be replaced separate (I replaced mine with Hi flow version when I put the Kenne bell s/c on). The pump alone with the bucket is like $100-150 if I remember right. If you buy from ford it may come with the entire assembly (pump, float, etc) for safety reasons (all the aftermarket pumps involve splicing into the electrical harnesses IN THE FUEL TANK). It is not fun to drop the tank, but you can probably fix it yourself easily once you open it, once you see how much work it is to drop the tank, you'll want to replace the pump becuase it will be one of those "I never want to do this job again" moments.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found many sending units at around 40 bucks. Now as for dropping the tank, I will have a mechanic I trust do that. The rest he and I will do and save 400 bucks. This bronco is coming along...... but knowing how much fuel I have is essential!

·
Super Moderator
26,323 Posts
yo,

Testing & Connector Pin-Outs in 92-96 Bronco; Sender Range: Full = 160 Ohms; Empty = 16 Ohms; "... gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire. gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float. gauge anywhere in between that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9. The terminals of C251 (& C250) are known to corrode & lose contact. Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser. The larger version of C441(WPT454) was used until 93. The level sender can usually be disassembled & repaired by bending the wiper arm inside the plastic housing to apply slightly more force..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744437

PS22 Fuel Level Sender

Apparently, this fits all '87-96 Broncos & most '87-97 F-series. List is ~$80 tax from Ford; I paid ~$55 total from Parts Plus. Posted on: 4/23/09 by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck)

-----------
How about doing a Cut-out Panel Fabrication for Fuel Pump/Level Sender Replacement in a 95?
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163456

More Cut-out Links in my broncolinks.com site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=616

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info everyone

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
If it shows a reading at all, just not full with a full tank of gas then it's most likely your brass barrel float in the tank. It clips onto the sender & is cheap through Ford, used the same one since the 60's. I put the part # in a thread to 6litre just a few weeks ago. Use up as much gas first as you can cause that tank will fall to one side real quick when you try to lower it after un-bolting it. I had a 1/4 tank IIRC & it slammed to the side so quick & felt like it weighed 600 lbs. The calculation is 7 lbs per gallon & our tanks are 32 so do the math!! Good luck & soak the bolts for a couple days first, as you waste as much gas as poss, if they are rusted at all. You need quick disconnect tools, cheap at parts house or Harbor freight etc, & if the hoses on top of the tank won't pull off, push them on real hard first, then give them a good yank...-Kevin- :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts