Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replacing my fpr today, what is the proper oil to use when replacing the o-rings since its in the fuel system?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I dont know if there is anything specifically for fuel system o-rings. Ive used 30W motor oil to lube up injector o-rings, FPR o-rings and fuel filter o-rings (used just enough to rub the o-rings with). Ive never had any issues.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,486 Posts
I dont know if there is anything specifically for fuel system o-rings. Ive used 30W motor oil to lube up injector o-rings, FPR o-rings and fuel filter o-rings (used just enough to rub the o-rings with). Ive never had any issues.
x2 just a little dab of motor oil will work fine.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I don't know if it is better or worse, but I use a little dielectric grease, the same grease that one would use on spark plug boots.
EDIT... see post #11 below... and do NOT use dielectric grease! EDIT.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, was figuring it was going to be motor oil, just thought i'd double check... hit another block though, my turck seems to have no fuel inertia switch, so i need to figure out another way to relieve the pressure

Haynes says disconnect the wire from the fuel pump relay.... thats descriptive

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If it is the same as my 93, there is a scrader valve (tire valve) in the fuel rail on top of the engine. You can release fuel pressure with it. BE CAREFUL so it doesn't spray in your face,....

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
meh, typo in the haynes manual, should've said wires, got it all fixed up

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
You could have pulled the relay, it is the green one that is next to the EEC relay, and the self test connector. All three are located at the top of the driver's side wheel well. That however in and of itself would not release the fuel pressure that is already built up in the system.

My fuel pressure guage has a hose that one can use to drain off any pressurized fuel, when one connects it to the schraeder valve mentioned above.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could have pulled the relay, it is the green one that is next to the EEC relay, and the self test connector. All three are located at the top of the driver's side wheel well. That however in and of itself would not release the fuel pressure that is already built up in the system.

My fuel pressure guage has a hose that one can use to drain off any pressurized fuel, when one connects it to the schraeder valve mentioned above.
thats a useful tool youve got right there, i saw it in the store and was tempted to buy it, but i need to be patient, 2 more weeks before i start UTI and get that nice snapon discount

as a side note, i HATE working on gasoline trucks, everything seems to get in the way, and nothing is ever conveniently located, i like being able to lift the cab off the diesels when i need to work on the engine

·
Super Moderator
26,953 Posts
yo

"The only approved lubricant for fuel system O-rings is clean motor oil. DO NOT USE SILICONE GREASE on any part of the fuel system. It does NOT dissolve in gas, so it can block the fuel filter &/or injector screens..."
by Ford via Steve83

1 - 11 of 11 Posts