Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though I had a ticking from motor but its clearly the regulator. When I put my hand on it I can feel it popping. Motor runs like a top though. Anyone experince this? Its looking like I can just pick one up local and change it out in minuites right. Is there a gasket or special tool?

·
Registered
1990 EB, 5.0
676 Posts
never had that particular issue, but the FPR is a fairly easy replacement. It uses an allen wrench and the screws are upside down on the FPR. It's a PITA to reach. Not hard, but time consuming. I'm certain there is a special tool that could help, but I don't own it. :)

·
Super Moderator
30,908 Posts
Yo Biggie,
The Fuel Pressure Regulator is attached to the fuel supply manifold assembly downstream of the fuel injectors.
POSSIBLE Noise Sources;
Injectors
Fuel rail mounting. If RAIL IS loose, it could be vibrating more than normal.

It regulates the fuel pressure supplied to the injectors. The regulator is a diaphragm-operated relief valve. One side of the diaphragm senses fuel pressure and the other side is connected to the intake manifold vacuum.
⁶Nominal fuel pressure is established by a spring preload applied to the diaphragm. Balancing one side of the diaphragm with manifold vacuum maintains a constant fuel pressure drop across the injectors. Fuel in excess of that used by the engine is bypassed through the regulator and returns to the fuel tank. pressure test point with a Schrader fitting is in the engine fuel rail to relieve pressure in the fuel system and to measure the injector supply pressure for service and diagnostic work. Refer to Caution and Warning.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,526 Posts
I though I had a ticking from motor but its clearly the regulator. When I put my hand on it I can feel it popping. Motor runs like a top though. Anyone experince this? Its looking like I can just pick one up local and change it out in minuites right. Is there a gasket or special tool?
Never heard of them clicking before, but if your engine is running good, don't screw with it..As far as removal goes, Ford changed the orientation of the screws on the FPRs to the top around '94 so yours will be much easier to swap out when and if you need to..

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All posts say the fpr cant make noise. Something is causing it like an injector. These are original injectors. I just changed the spark plugs and wire last week. I checked in the dark for arcing and found none. But, when I changed the plugs #5 was fouled. All others were good. Ill unplug #5 injector while its running to see if its that. Im assuming a bad injector could cause a plug to be fouled. All other plugs were perfect. Maybe we are onto something here.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
2,012 Posts
I have seen a few OBS trucks show up with a fuel pulse damper installed...

TSB 93-01-16 Fuel Pulse Damper 4.9L
TSB 93-13-09 Fuel Pulse Damper 5.8L

Publication Date: JANUARY 5, 1993

LIGHT TRUCK: 1992-93 BRONCO, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE: A fuel system "knocking" noise may be heard. The noise is caused by fuel injector pulsations that are transmitted through the fuel lines.

ACTION: Install a new front fuel line assembly with a pulse damper. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

There was a TSB issued for it back in 1993: Fuel Pulse Damper (courtesy of Steve83)

Reactions: miesk5 and jermil01

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine has one of those on it. Its a 95. Must have been stock at that point. I pulled the plug on #5 and the motor hesitated a bit then when I plugged it back it it ran good. The noise wasnt as prevalent when the motor was warming up. After it was hot it got worse but Im concluding its really not bad. Maybe just normal. Would new injectors and new fpr sound better? Im sure but this all adds up to time and $$$. I have to draw the line somewhere. I think Ive had enough for now. The truck runs great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts