Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pressure reads 35psi when it is running and when I shut off the fuel pressure slowly climbs to 39psi after 15 minutes its starts to go down. After a ½ an hour or so it about 5psi is this normal. I ask because sometimes when I shut it off and go in the beer store and try to start again I have to crank it for like 5 to 10 seconds till it starts. And when it starts I can smell fuel. I put on a new fuel pressure regulator and it does the same thing (I put the original back on) In December I put in a new fuel pump after it went bad. It seam to me it stated to do this when after I changed the fuel pump. I got the fuel pump from my local ford dealership.

I’m going to try changing the fuel filter to see if anything changes. Or maybe I should stop going to the beer store. Thanks for your help

James

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I would do some injector leakage testing AFTER I determine whether there is a leak in any of the fuel system O-rings (which it sounds like you may have since you smell gas).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't smell gas all the time it's only when it's been shut off for a short time an i go and try to start it. sometimes its start as soon as i turn the key. Sometimes it takes 5/10 secondsto start. That's when I smell the gas. when it takes 5/10 seconds to start.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
If the pressure is increasing after you shut it off you may have some vapor lock going on.
Ford EFI cannot vapor lock.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Not on a 1996 model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ooops. Should learn to read the Bronco info tag.

The issue sounds like a heat soak problem.

Have you checked fuel flow, not just pressure. Plus you should try and check the pressure and flow during one of your no start conditions if possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts