Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow bronco lovers!! I finally found ya :rockon
I've owned one of these awsome 79 broncos for a long time. going on something like 14 yrs now. hands down the best truck I have ever owned.
sadly my baby had so sit for a while and now she is having some issues.
I'm having a fuel problem, lack of fuel being the problem. was doing some google searching to try and figure out some info on the old girl and found this site!!
So here goes. she sat for a while and now wont start. she gets zero gas to the see thru filter. I replaced the fuel pump,cleaned out all of the fuel lines, even droped the tank to make sure it was all hunky dory in there. Still no fuel. here is where ya'll come in.. :popc1: So after all this work and still not getting fuel I pulled the fuel line at the carb and stuck my finger over it while I turned the engine over.. Zero pressure at all!! I'm not really sure this is a good test or not but this leads me to believe this new fuel pump isnt working. is there another way I should be testing this pump? its just some oreilly's pump nothing special.. O and by the way when I dropped the tank I found out the the little rubber line to the tank was old and cracked, wich I felt was probably the culprit the whole time.

Any ideas? good advice on testing the fuel pump? advice on better fuel pump to use? help!! I want to drive my old bronco again so bad.. sorry for being a noob and I must say I'm stoked to have found all the 78-79 bronco lovers..

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
take off the dizzy and make sure it's spinning while trying to crank her.....if that checks out ok, i would pour a TINY bit of gas down the carb and see if she'll fire off.sometimes it takes a good while for the fuel to get to the carb after the lines have been replaced/disconnected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the speedy replies.. I have checked, tested, and done everything that ya'll have posted already. my post would have been even more long winded if I'd gone step by step of what I have done, replaced, checked.
Everything seems to be great. it runs ( briefly) when I pour a little gas down the carb. she wants to run just not getting fuel. being that I cant feel any line pressure when my thumb is capping the fuel line leads me to believe my pump isnt pumping, but I'm not sure my test is all that great. shouldnt I feel some kind of line pressure even if the gas hasnt made it all the way to the engine yet?

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it runs with fuel dumped down the carb, then we know its getting fire. My guess it is either a bad fuel pump which could happen or maybe a clogged needle and seat in the carb. Did you check the needle and seat?:popc1:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I have not checked the needle and seat. figured since I cant even get gas to the carb the carb cant really be the problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is so true...didn't thank of that.:duh My guess then would be fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I'm not sure if this is even possible but could it be you did not install the fuel pump properly? If you hook the arm under the fuel pump cam and not riding on top of it, the pump may not work. I've only had to replace mine a couple of times and it's been so long ago, I can't remember if you can get the arm under the feul pump cam.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,171 Posts
You can try running a line from the fuel pump to a different container of fuel, like a 1 gallon can. If it gets pressure then you know its the lines and/or something in the tank.
If its still an issue, I would be looking at the pump.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I believe it is indeed possible to get the pump arm over the
cam instead of under when installing....I'd remove the pump and check for the arm location and whether it's now bent.

If the arm looks OK, I'd suspect a faulty pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx for all the replies, I really apreciate that. Well as everyone else seems to agree I also figured it is most probably the pump so I pulled the new pump off and put another new pump on. still no gas!! Now I at least have gas to the pump but still no gas to the carb. can I really be that unlucky to have gotten 2 bad fuel pumps in a row? started to get dark and the lady called me in for dinner so the old bronco sits yet another night not running..
thanx again for the help and I'll let ya know how it goes.

by the way, any one have any advice on purchasing fuel pumps? is one better than another? Oreilley's doesnt seem to even stock pumps that work.
gues its time for a trip to napa.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
before you run and buy another pump, grab some fuel line and run it into a gas can. be sure your being safe and not going to get the fuel line wrapped up in pulleys or melted on the exhaust.

pour a little in the carb and let it fire up. it should prime fast and get fuel into the carb.

also you should use a clear filter so you can see fuel moving between the carb and pump.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would totally investigate where the fuel pump arm runs on the eccentric.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I would totally investigate where the fuel pump arm runs on the eccentric.

Eccentric issue is where my money lies. I had this happen to me not too long ago before I swapped out my old busted 351M. Pulled off the highway, stopped to get gas, then couldn't get the Bronco to start. Waited in BFE until morning when a parts store opened, got a new mechanical pump...same issue, no fuel to the carb. I knew I was getting fuel from the tank and the line to the carb wasn't clogged. So I decided to grab an electric fuel pump, rigged that up and drove the remaining 3 hours home. When I got to digging at home, I realized the eccentric was trashed, the tab on the back was gone and both 'circles' were seriously warped. So to the PO, if a separate gas can doesn't get your Bronco running, I'd pull off the front cover and have a looksee. Or for shits and giggles, if you have an extra 6-8psi electric fuel pump lying around, hook that bad boy up and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I pretty sure the fuel pump arm should rest on top of the eccentric drive, not under it. I do remember the last time I installed my fuel pump, I had to push the pump in just a little (because of eccentric location) to get the bolts started.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I pretty sure the fuel pump arm should rest on top of the eccentric drive, not under it. I do remember the last time I installed my fuel pump, I had to push the pump in just a little (because of eccentric location) to get the bolts started.

It definitely goes under it.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Like I said, it's been awhile since I replaced mine so I wasn't sure if the arm was over or under. Thanks for clearing the mud up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Round 4 or maybe its 5 or something.. so still no start but getting closer. 3rd fuel pump had a little more success than the other 2. installed the 3rd pump and instantly it was pumping gas like a gusher only to stop pumping about 2 minutes later? finally got gas to the carb and then the damn thing stoped pumping. I'm a little perplexed. I was starting to really lean towards it being the eccentric but now I'm not so sure. all the pumps I have tried have been the same brand. its so easy to change them out so I decided I'm going to try a different brand and if that doesnt work I guess the timing cover is coming off. after seeing this last pump work so well I really dont think the eccentric is the problem but I dont have loads of experience with bad eccentrics.
and just for info I have been trying to run the pumps on the tank and also off of a can with a short piece of hose. this last pump ran off the tank and the can great for a just a couple of minutes probably not even a couple minutes. but it pressurized great then stopped.

to clear up any confusion the pump arm rides UNDER the eccentric and I'm pretty sure you CAN NOT intall it wrong. All of the pumps I put showed the wear marks of the eccentric when I pulled them off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts