Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 bronco 5.8 (built 12/95) that the fuel pump went out on.
I checked all the fuses, relays and inertia switch. All seem ok. I also still get power to the plug above the rear axle to the fuel pump. So with just over 200k miles, I believe the fuel pump is out.

It is broken down on a side street and I am attempting to install a new fuel pump with a sore back (not fun).

I have the tank hanging from 2 bolts but don't know how to unhook the fuel lines.
Do I NEED a special tool or can I get them unhooked w/o?

Posting/surfing from my phone, so searching is not easy.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, got the "special tool" from the auto parts store for $11.
Still having a hard time getting the line to release.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? The special tool go in a certain way?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
to release my fuel lines going into the pump you just have to pull the little white clamp out then the lines slide right off. I think i did mine with a set of needle nose pliers and a screw driver. the clip just needs to pull straight out. my new pump also came with new clips so if yours did it would be easier to break the clips and just install the new ones

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine doesn't have the clip type. :-/
The crappy manual I have says duck bill clip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
push the tool in and squeeze the lines together. when the tool seats all the way then pull them apart keeping the tool seated. good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up for today. I'll try again tomorrow.
I think I am doing it the way that was just described, just having no luck.

Maybe my tool isn't long enough to get the job done.... :histerica

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm curious as well. I went to the parts store and bought every type of ford 5/16" fuel line removal tool they had and still was'nt able to separate them. My '91 has the white clips, and they were a cinch. On the '95, it has the other type, like yours. I've tried compressed air followed by wd-40 and still wont come apart. There's gotta be a secret to it. Best of luck!

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
There are special "Sissor type" removal tools. Harbor Freight has a pack of 4 and they are 4 different colors. I think I used the gold & the black. There are 2 different size hoses and BECAREFUL the lines come in a supply/return combo set and if you can even find them they are like $400 bucks. Get the right tools and push them in the end of the line, grab the line and push it further onto the pump to break the seal or old dirt etc, and then pull it off. Take your time and don't force it off. When the tool finally expands the silver internal spring it should just slide off but you have to push it on to release it sometimes.....? Mine took a couple tries!
Go to www.harborfreightusa.com and click on "Hand Tools" and punch in Part# 98118-AAA to see what they look like....! :thumbup -Kevin-
Man dude, my truck looked just like yours about 7 years ago........

·
Registered
408 Posts
Jeffb, I ran across that schematic and was hoping that I did'nt have scenario "C" or "D". More than likely I do. Thats gonna be a biatch!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
When you buy the cheap $10 parts house tool you often have to sharpen the tool where it slides into the connection. Have to be able to get the tool in there to be able to expand it and all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
with the sissor tool you have to push REALY hard to get it in there. i grinded the edge down a bit to make it easier... matco sells a real good set for $70 but unless you plan on using them everyday, not really worth it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That illustration would have been very helpful yesterday. Better late than never and at least I know what I'm dealing with now.
I'm guessing I'm at C or D as well after yesterday. :-(

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tuff, before you resort to cutting the lines off or boogering up the connectors, the only other alternative that I can think of is to leave the connectors in place, jack up the rear end and support it, then drop the tank far enough for the pump and fuel level sensor to clear the opening and allowing you to replace the pump motor. Not ideal, but cheaper than replacing those lines. Be sure to chock the front wheels. Also, while the tank is removed, cut an access hole using a jig saw. I think steve83 has a write-up on it. Good luck....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't want to hack it up. I plan on keeping it for a long time. I'll mess with them until I get them.
Thanks for the tips though.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Just keep at it. Don't jump to conclusions thinking it's jacked up yet. You live in Oregon so it might just be on tight from the salt & snow & probably some dirt caked in there. Spray something in there to clean it up and keep pushing the line "On" while forcing the tool "In" then give it a couple of pulls, not too hard and repeat! Trust me the sissor one's work! The "Last thing" I would do is hack the pump up to get it off....keep trying! :thumbup -Kevin-

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you are game, I would suggest cutting out an access panel for your rig. Even on the side of the road, an 18V angle grinder with a cutoff wheel can get this done.
Once you can sit in the back of your truck and screw with this, your frustration level will drop to a manageable level.

Anyway, on my 1992, the fuel lines slipped off without a problem using this tool.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947319000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
With that said, I tried the same thing on a 1993 I am working on and I had a REALLY tough time getting the sending line off.
The return line was no problem but, the sending line, I had to push the line in, push the tool in and then twist the tool about 90 degrees before the line finally came off.
Again, if you can, cut the panel out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts