Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've searched for a thread that i read about fuel pump problems and someone hitting the tank with a stick or something to get the fuel pump to prime. Now that I cant find the thread again, I need some help.

Pump will not prime every coupla times I try to start the truck. If I hit the tank a few times with a pvc pipe i have in the truck, it primes and starts up. what would cause this and how come hitting the tank work to start the truck?:twak

·
Try it now!!
9,124 Posts
Its kinda like any electric motor. If the brushes get dirty, it wont conduct electricity when you apply it. Hitting it will vibrate the motor and brushes, changing the distance the electricity has to flow, changing the resistance caused by the dirt, causing electricity to flow, causing the motor to spin. Once its spinning, a momentary lapse of electricity caused by dirty brushes doesnt matter because the momentum will carry it to a less dirty area.

Any electric motor thats been sitting for a while can develop this. On July 4th, a boat lift we were using had a seized motor so only one side was being raised. Hit it with a hammer and it started running again.

Sounds like you need a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
:stupid

Will nailed it. Same goes with your starter.

Time for a fuel pump... one of these times, whackin' it isn't going to get it going. Check out Steve83's album for how and where to cut a hole in the floor of your body to get to the fuel pump without having to drop the tank. Excellent mod.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,330 Posts
on my '92 the stupid connector on the top of the tank got messed up, on of the contacts was corroded bad. Might be something to check.

I ended up running wires out of the top of that one and then running a connector on the frame. No issues since.

·
Try it now!!
9,124 Posts
:stupid

Will nailed it. Same goes with your starter.

Time for a fuel pump... one of these times, whackin' it isn't going to get it going.
That reminds me, a Moomba ski boat I had for a while had a fuel control cell with a very similar fuel pump to the Bronco in-tank pump. It had sat for so long that it would seize up randomly. Whacking it while power was applied would get it to work, but after a while the magnets in the motor broke...because I was wacking it.

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
That reminds me, a Moomba ski boat I had for a while had a fuel control cell with a very similar fuel pump to the Bronco in-tank pump. It had sat for so long that it would seize up randomly. Whacking it while power was applied would get it to work, but after a while the magnets in the motor broke...because I was wacking it.
Thats what you get for buying a turdba.

My old favorite line (see my pics) Mastercrafts are for people that can't afford Ski Nautiques... :thumbup

edit: And yes I know moombas aren't made by Crapstercraft...

·
Try it now!!
9,124 Posts
Thats what you get for buying a turdba.

My old favorite line (see my pics) Mastercrafts are for people that can't afford Ski Nautiques... :thumbup

edit: And yes I know moombas aren't made by Crapstercraft...
I loved that boat! 310hp Ford motor on a 1700lb 18 foot boat! Hauled ass!

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
I loved that boat! 310hp Ford motor on a 1700lb 18 foot boat! Hauled ass!
I was just teasing you about the fact that you had to beat it with a stick to get it to start. I heard they weren't well made... I've actually never been in one, but wasn't it still a flat bottom inboard with a direct drive tranny? That'd make it accelerate hard but still top out around the same speed of all the competition ski boats

...and the old Master Craft/Correct Craft fight has always been like the Ford/Chevy argument to me. Always good for some amusement from the Skiing community. I love that my Nautique shares the same engine as my truck... not that I would ever do it but if I need a drop in 351w with GT 40 Heads for my truck there is one sitting right next to it...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
makes sense, thanks for the replys. I kinda figured as much. Just didnt figure hittin the tank would rattle the pump enough to make a difference. I probly drop the tank anyhow, I have to replace the filler hose anyhow. It got a temp trail fix hose on it right now.

·
Try it now!!
9,124 Posts
I was just teasing you about the fact that you had to beat it with a stick to get it to start. I heard they weren't well made... I've actually never been in one, but wasn't it still a flat bottom inboard with a direct drive tranny? That'd make it accelerate hard but still top out around the same speed of all the competition ski boats

...and the old Master Craft/Correct Craft fight has always been like the Ford/Chevy argument to me. Always good for some amusement from the Skiing community. I love that my Nautique shares the same engine as my truck... not that I would ever do it but if I need a drop in 351w with GT 40 Heads for my truck there is one sitting right next to it...
Well it was so damn light and small, with the same engine in boats 3 feet bigger...It would go 54-55, which is about 5 mph faster than my buddy's Mastercraft that I ski with currently.

The wiring was not made to last. Connections were not waterproof, and it was someone unprofessionally installed. With a EFI engine, thats bad news.

Everything else was pretty stout though. It was a Boomerang, one of the earlier ones. Taken care of, they will last a long time. I think Moomba quality has increased since then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.