Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanically challenged Bronco onwner needs help. I had to replace the fuel pump on my 1983 351 Windsor Bronc today. After finally getting to the old one and getting it off I got the new one installed, but obviously not correctly, as it is not pumping any fuel. I have done the output test per the Haynes manual by having the lines go directly from a gas tank and into another contanier and then turning the ignition, and there is no gas being pumped.

Someone said I should have seen a "pin" when I removed the old pump, but I did not see anything. Is there a certain way the pump has to go in? I tried looking into the space where the pump goes and I don't see anything that would push the lever down on the pump to make it work? What am I missing, besides some mechanical skills. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the line that would normally go to the gas tank going straight to a full gas can, and the line that connects to the fuel filter going to anohter can just to test and make sure the pump is actually working, and I have not gotten any fuel at all. The lines are totally dry. I have tried it for 10 sec each time, but only 2 times. It was kinda hard to pull the old pump out, but it wasn't real hard to get the new pump back in.

Should I just crank on it longer and see what happens? Is it possible to put the pump in wrong if you have it bolted in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you are correct it does have a lever not a rod, I was replying to the other post.

The rotor is turning, actually it will fire up fine if I spray a little starting fluid in the carb, it is just a problem with the pump. It is not pumping any fuel, so it is a big problem. Is it possible to put it in wrong? Like I said I did only crank it for about 20 sec total with the new pump, is that not enough time to get it going? Thanks again for your help.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
what rid are you all talking about with the fuel pump? im lost here, i did a buds 150 and there was nothing driving it. it is electric

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it running on carb spray and there was very little if any suction, any other suggestions other than bad pump. If there were any other engine problems would I be able to get it running on carb spray, I mean if I had a blown engine it would not even fire up on carb spray correct? Sorry for all the stupid questions like I said I am learning as I go. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1983 Bronco 351 Windsor Carb it is not an electric pump it is mechanical with a rocker/arm. The arm is about 6 inches long or so.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
oh okay gotcha. im thinking fuel injected

1 - 12 of 12 Posts