Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a q7estion about fuel pumps, the seal at the fuel pump opening, and the longevity of those parts. This is in regards to a 1990 5.0 5 speed.

So, years ago i was throwing some parts at my bronco because of some highway power loss. It needed new spark plugs, but i tried a new fuel pump because i was just throwing parts at my,problem. I couldnt figure out how to get the new fuel pump gasket on, so i reused the old one because it actually fit. But that fuel pump failed a couple years later. After i replaced it , it failed again a couple years later. So i have had 2 fuel pumps go out on me.

Could the crummy gasket seal be the cause of these failures? There was a slight smell of gasoline, which definitely got worse over time, especially after fueling up. Trying to figure out why my fuel pumps wont last for more than a few years. Replacing the pump is easy, but having my vehicle leave me stranded is not lol. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,359 Posts
Yo C,

Lubrication of the gasket is key.
Following by Ford;
"...Turn the fuel pump locking retainer ring (9C385) counterclockwise with Fuel Tank Sender Wrench D84P-9275-A or equivalent and remove fuel pump locking retainer ring.
  1. Remove the fuel tank sending unit and pump from the fuel tank.
  2. Remove seal gasket and discard.
Installation
  1. ➡Clean the fuel pump mounting flange and the fuel tank mounting surface and groove in the fuel pump mounting gasket (9417).
  2. ➡Put a light coating of Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or -K or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B on a new fuel pump mounting gasket to hold it in place during assembly. Install it in the fuel ring groove.
  3. Install fuel tank sending unit and pump carefully to make sure that the fuel filter (9155) is not damaged. Be sure that the tabs of the fuel tank sending unit and pump are positioned into slots of the fuel tank. Make sure ring remains in place.
  4. ➡Hold the fuel tank sending unit and pump and fuel pump mounting gasket in place; install and rotate the fuel pump locking retainer ring clockwise until the stop is against the retainer ring tab.
    • Install fuel tank."
Walbro supplied Ford with our pumps.

Following by Spectra Premium:

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,934 Posts
Do you ever run out of gas? In tank fuel pumps are prone to failure if run dry.

How old is your fuel filter? I just replaced a fuel pump in an f250 where the warranty was void if a new filter wasn't installed. I'm guessing that they've had trouble pushing thru bad filters.

Are you dropping the tank or have you installed an access panel? Several of us have installed access panels & it sure makes the job easier. When I swapped my pump, the gasket didn't seat right & it leaked when filled up. It was easy to deal with thru the panel & I was releaved to be not dropping the tank twice. Give me a minute & I'll look for sone info.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,934 Posts
Here are some access panel links:

The following link has become somewhat of a gethering place for access panel info. Some of it's good, some not so much. Read thru it all & pay attention to the warnings about not using a grinder & showering the tank, unseen hoses, & possibly leaking fuel pump seal with sparks. The carelessness of girl in the video is downright scary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts