Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had to take the whole steering column out because the ignition lock actuator broke and would not come out like normal ones do. So, I didn't have a lot of time to work on it because of work and school and it sat for like a month. So, I finally got it all done and I went to go start it, and obviously it needed jumped, so I jumped and it turned everything on but wouldn't start and fuel pump didn't come on. So, I tried a jump-box and the same result. So the battery needs completely recharged or need to just get a new one, but is the fuel pump bad or is there just not enough power getting there?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you checked the relay for power? The inertia switch? The EFI fuse? If all check out,
its possible the pump is stuck and won't run. With an assistant, grab a rubber mallet and crawl under the tank. Have smack the skid plate in the middle and have your assistant turn the key on. Smack it again and have them try to start it. Try this a couple times to see if it will start. If it does start, the pump is on its last leg and I would recommend replacing it very soon.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo RB.
1989 Ford Bronco XLT?
Correct?
anyway add that info and other pertinent info to your signature to get accurate info.

Did you do this test?
Test & Diagram at the Diagnostic Link Connector in 84-95; "...Connect FP Relay to any ground to force the fuel pump(s) on when the key is in RUN..."
Source: by Steve83

MIESK5 NOTE; from Ford EVTM; The Control Module (PCM) runs the pump{s} for one second when it receives an ignition- on signal. It also runs the pumps as long as it receives a PIP signal from the Hall-effect devices, it continues pump operation even after the key is released from START. If the PIP signals fall below 120RPM, the control module cuts off the signal to the fuel pump relay or the integrated relay control module. The pump will also run when the terminals of the fuel pump test connector are jumped. the Control module signals the pump when it receives a CRANK signal, and when the Control module gets PIP signals that the engine is running. the pump does not run if the PIP indicates the engine is not running even with ignition ON {except for that first one second}.

Wiring Diagram in an 89 from EVTM
Source: by Ford via SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) athttp://www.supermotors.net/registry/20487/76449

87-89; Fuel Injected Engines - "...Two electric pumps are used on fuel injected models; a low pressure boost pump mounted in the fuel tank and a high pressure pump mounted on the vehicle frame. The low pressure pump is used to provide pressurized fuel to the inlet of the high pressure pump and helps prevent noise and heating problems. The externally mounted high pressure pump is capable of supplying 15.9 gallons of fuel an hour. System pressure is controlled by a pressure regulator mounted on the engine..."
Source: by Chilton

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had the same problem with mine and it was the computer all along. Everything else worked fine, except the fuel relay wouldn't kick in. I had a few spares laying around. I swapped the PCM out and "voila!" it works great now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I will check these things, I believe it is the relay discussing this with my dad. He had said he had the exact same problem with it years back and he couldn't remember but after I told them what you all said he said it was the relay last time. So I will check it this evening. Sorry it took so long to get back, I had school and work and it wouldn't let me get on to reply back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts