Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 1994 full size Bronco have an "in tank pump"?

Again my daughters Bronco has pooped out, I checked the fuel rail valve and no fuel came out, I can not hear the pump running so I think it has gone out. I'm hopeing it not in the tank but knowing my luck! Thanks for the help.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
yes it is in the tank. you can either drop the tank or cut an access panel into it. your call

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the cutting part myself. LOL I was just looking at that. Do you know the pump type or is there only one that fits in this year of Bronco?

I also seen that you have the E4OD tranny, you ever have a problem with it ,like slipping?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Pulled codes? I just dropped one of the tanks on my F250 and it wasn't bad at all. Whole thing took 3.5 hrs and that included thoroughly cleaning a tank with 2 inches of black goo in the bottom of it and drying it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
dropping the tank is harder the more fuel you have in it... I sure do like the idea of making a hinged access door since my luck with aftermartket junk isnt what I wished it was...

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
drop the tank. it's not the HUGE deal everyone makes it out to be. OR you can cut a hole in the bed, which causes another place for rust to start......oh shit i missed the pump.....gotta cut another hole (another place for rust)......oh shit i just cut the fuel lines, shit gotta redo those now too......etc.

i'd drop the tank.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I attempted to drop the tank on my son's '91 and the shield bolts were impossible to break free even after soaking with PB Blaster overnite. Ended up cutting a hole. There's a great write-up somewhere on here and thats the info I used. (sorry I dont have the link but a quick search should yield the results). It was'nt that big of a deal after the hole was cut out, but I sure was nervous with the sparks flying around. Good luck! (where abouts in WA?)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Id drop the tank. It took me about 2 hours to remove all but one bolt on the gas tank. It took me about 15 minutes to line up and cut a hole in my floor. Just go slow with your cutoff wheel and dont cut deep. Measure twice cut once right. Then you dont have to worry about trying to put the tank back up and hooking all the lines and filler neck up. plus if your pump goes out again. well your back at square one. heres a little write-up i did. maybe not the best but it should get you started in the right direction

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163456

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
drop the tank. it's not the HUGE deal everyone makes it out to be. OR you can cut a hole in the bed, which causes another place for rust to start......oh shit i missed the pump.....gotta cut another hole (another place for rust)......oh shit i just cut the fuel lines, shit gotta redo those now too......etc.

i'd drop the tank.
well if they search on here they wont miss the pump with the hole they cut. nor iwll they rust if they finish off the area they cut.

as far as aftermarket vs oem. im not paying 500 bucks for something that says motorcraft on it, i got an air tex on mine 4 or 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

are you sure you are even getting power to the pump? ground the pin to make it stay on and check wiring. you should be able to hear something coming from back there.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
537 Posts
Does the 1994 full size Bronco have an "in tank pump"?

Again my daughters Bronco has pooped out, I checked the fuel rail valve and no fuel came out, I can not hear the pump running so I think it has gone out. I'm hopeing it not in the tank but knowing my luck! Thanks for the help.
it really isnt a big deal to drop the tank..just a huge PITA...because of it being bulky and having to drain the fuel out and such....I just bought 5 gas cans to siphon the fuel into so i dont deal with a full tank....but before you go through all that hassle to find out that your pump still doesnt run after you replace it make sure to check a few things first...like fuses and the ecm relay is picking up because it sends power to the fuel pump relay (wich of course needs to be picked also with the key on) and the inertia safety switch in the floor behind the gas/brake pedal..if that is tripped it will not pass power to the pump....and finally..pull the plug off the top of the tank that plugs into the pump...check for power there as well...if your getting power all the way to the pump..THEN drop the tank and replace the pump...but if your loosing power somewhere in the circuit you can troubleshoot that fairly simple since there isnt much there between the pump and the relay....relays are common failures (more common than pumps)...and sometimes wires get pinched or corroded.....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ground out that pin! Forgot about that. That should cause FP to run continuously with the key on. If it still does not, climb under there with key on and it grounded out and bang on center of tank with rubber mallet. At the very least that should cause something to happen. Mine made a couple pathetic grunts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cut the hole, drop the tank - whatever is in your wheel house. But first I'd make darn sure that there was power going all the way to the pump. Save you a lot of hassle if it was just a fuse you missed or a bad ground.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with the previous replier, check the relay and be sure you're getting pwr back to the tank. I ended up cutting my wire about a foot from the tank and jumping it from there to ensure that it was in fact a bad fuel pump and not a wiring or relay issue. My advice would be to soak the nuts and bolts overnight and if they're easy enough to take off, then go for it, if not, then there's some good write-ups on the cut.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I agree with the previous replier, check the relay and be sure you're getting pwr back to the tank. I ended up cutting my wire about a foot from the tank and jumping it from there to ensure that it was in fact a bad fuel pump and not a wiring or relay issue. My advice would be to soak the nuts and bolts overnight and if they're easy enough to take off, then go for it, if not, then there's some good write-ups on the cut.
Maybe I got lucky with the bolts on my tank but I hit them with an impact and they came right off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bolts don't want to budge, All relays are good , fuses are good , Bad, Bad, pump!

I'm 60 years old and pulling the tank is hard for me but I think it would be much cleaner job. Cutting the hole is still on my mind and I like the Idea for the simple reason if another pump fails then my daughter could change it so I can go fishing LOL

I thank you all for your input and help,now I got to get to work on it. Cant find my breaker bar, lost somewhere in the past LOL Kids may have used it and forgot where they left it.

Sorry dougc767, I live in Salkum Wa.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
crazyjay, get a buddy or your kids to help. siphon all that fuel out into buckets or whatever you have laying around. that tank isn't more than 40 lbs dry. put a floor jack under it and hit those bolts with an impact. undo the filler neck. as tank is lowered down disconnect the fuel lines and power. put your new pump in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem lies in that I don't have anyone to help. There all doing stuff on the weekends, this means, I guess I shouldn't be worried about getting it done. I do want to thank all of you that had great ideas on going about doing this work.

I'm a happy camper that my two Broncos are older than all this electric crap, LOL If my pump goes out I have one fuel line and two bolts to remove and stick the new one in. I was looking at a 95 Bronco but I think I will just let it go after seeing the trouble all this EFI is. Thanks again guys. Jay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK guys I have got it ready to remove except one fuel line will not pull off the tube, one came off when takeing the holding clamp off but the other one wont pull off like the first one did. Do I need to twist and pull or is it like the other one but just stuck? Any secrets?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts