Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my fuel pump electric or manual? My father is saying manual.

I have an 86 ford bronco with a 351W carbed. The fuel pump has the fuel line leading onto it (Obviously) and then a plug with 2 wires, where it plugs on. Which I would assume is electric....

I only doubt my father because he always tells me every job I take on, with the bronco is too big of a job for me, and I should get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

I also need a new fuel pump. :goodfinge

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...tegoryDisplayName=Fuel+Delivery&parentId=49-0

would that work?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
your engine should have a mechanically operated fuel pump which bolts to the side of the engine. If you have 2 wires going to the pump someone replaced the mechanical pump with a electric pump.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your engine should have a mechanically operated fuel pump which bolts to the side of the engine. If you have 2 wires going to the pump someone replaced the mechanical pump with a electric pump.
Thank you :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
yep, what they said...

and tell your father you only learn by doing, so how will you ever learn if you always take something to a "mechanic"...

for carbureted engines you can either replace your mechanical pump, or go with an electric one, but if you go with electric don't get anything over 12 PSI, it also helps to have a filter with a return line to your tank so your pump isn't constantly trying to force fuel into a carburetor that is already full of fuel.

your carburetor float floats up and closes a needle valve when it is full, but there is no sense in forcing anything on it.

a fuel pump is a very easy job to do, and don't worry if you mess something up when working on your bronco, even mistakes are good because you learned how not to do something which is just as important as learning how to do something...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would I need extra hardware for a manual, since I now run an electric? Or should I pull the electric, and find out what model it is? I dont know what to buy, since it is changed...

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
just walk into the parts store. they usually have cheep electric pumps hanging on the wall around the fuel filters if memory serves me right. you want one made for a carb engine since they run lower fuel pressure than the EFI engines do.

should be 30 bucks or so

·
Registered
710 Posts
The only thing that I would consider going back to a mechanical pump for is if your transmission is a manual shift... The reason for that is, if you run your battery down so low that you can't pump your electric fuel pump then you won't be able to "bump start" your bronco. With a mechanical pump though you could bump start it with an almost completely dead battery.

The plus side to an electric pump is if you haven't driven your bronco for a while you can turn on the pump and not have to turn the engine over and over to pump fuel to the carburetor...

Other than that, it's just your preference. some folks will tell you go with the stock mechanical pump which is just fine, or a cheapie aftermarket pump that any parts store will have.

When installing your electric pump if that is the route you decide to take, you need to trace some fuel lines before you start... if there are 2 lines from the tank to the carburetor then you already have a fuel return, no need to have one on the filter, but if you don't have 2 lines running from carburetor to tank then you will need to make sure your filter (with return line) are placed AFTER the pump, that means between the electric pump and the carburetor, NOT BEFORE the pump. If you put a filter with return before the pump it will 1. not return fuel like it needs to... and 2. suck air from the "return" line...

Of course someone may have already done all of this correctly when it was switched over the first time, but don't count on it, check for yourself then you know for sure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing that I would consider going back to a mechanical pump for is if your transmission is a manual shift... The reason for that is, if you run your battery down so low that you can't pump your electric fuel pump then you won't be able to "bump start" your bronco. With a mechanical pump though you could bump start it with an almost completely dead battery.

The plus side to an electric pump is if you haven't driven your bronco for a while you can turn on the pump and not have to turn the engine over and over to pump fuel to the carburetor...

Other than that, it's just your preference. some folks will tell you go with the stock mechanical pump which is just fine, or a cheapie aftermarket pump that any parts store will have.

When installing your electric pump if that is the route you decide to take, you need to trace some fuel lines before you start... if there are 2 lines from the tank to the carburetor then you already have a fuel return, no need to have one on the filter, but if you don't have 2 lines running from carburetor to tank then you will need to make sure your filter (with return line) are placed AFTER the pump, that means between the electric pump and the carburetor, NOT BEFORE the pump. If you put a filter with return before the pump it will 1. not return fuel like it needs to... and 2. suck air from the "return" line...

Of course someone may have already done all of this correctly when it was switched over the first time, but don't count on it, check for yourself then you know for sure.
Wait... what if I have an intank pump?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you have a carb, and a intank pump. Thats leading me to believe your bronco was originally with a 302 EFI and someone put in a 351w carb?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I doubt you have two fuel pumps, but Im you will still have a sock filter in your tank which could be clogged.... my guess is also that you dont have a return line currently installed because in your pic of the line where you disconnected it, there is not another line beside it.. unless the PO decided to run it somewhere else... Id go with the mechanical pump as it will have less chance to fail you in the future.. no electrical, no return line installation, and probably cheaper too...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you have a carb, and a intank pump. Thats leading me to believe your bronco was originally with a 302 EFI and someone put in a 351w carb?
Nope, rolled off the factory floor with a 351W. Previous owners are a bit... slow. One of them had to wire my radio through the cigarette lighter to get it power....

·
Registered
331 Posts
oh and be sure to put an inline filter to your carb, one of the clear ones so that it will be easy to check that in the future you are gettin fuel to the carb with a quick glance

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I do not recall ford ever using a electric fuel pump on a carbed engine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But mine does, unless there is a manual pump that would still have wires going to it, that is intank?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nope, rolled off the factory floor with a 351W. Previous owners are a bit... slow. One of them had to wire my radio through the cigarette lighter to get it power....
wow... no telling what kind of eletrical problems you are going to have in the future... Im wondering that since you have an in tank pump also that maybe it was scavenged from another later model bronco? like I said earlier, Id go mechanical if you only have one fuel line... it will be simpler, cheaper and more reliable in the long run...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow... no telling what kind of eletrical problems you are going to have in the future... Im wondering that since you have an in tank pump also that maybe it was scavenged from another later model bronco? like I said earlier, Id go mechanical if you only have one fuel line... it will be simpler, cheaper and more reliable in the long run...
It ran fine for atleast 10 years with it, before it was parked. There is a second line running to the tank, about 4 inches past the pump.... though I cant seem to trace it into the engine compartment? I dont know what it is....

·
Registered
710 Posts
your remedy for that situation isn't much different then.

You can

1. replace your in tank pickup with a carburetor style pickup (best option) then continue with the previous plan...

or

2. do away with everything else and replace your in tank pump and make sure you have a return line to your tank someplace in the system (so you don't over-feed your carburetor). The in tank pump will pump at a higher pressure than your carburetor can handle, hence the return line.

are you sure you have an in-tank pump? it is more than possible that you do, but you will have a wire running back there for your fuel gauge anyhow.

anyhow, it's not hard to drop the tank, although if you have much gas in it, you might want to siphon it out so it won't be as heavy. There is a very nifty writeup on here about cutting a trap door in the rear floor of your truck so you can access your fuel tank without dropping it, provided you have a way to cut metal that's the best route in my opinion.

You're gonna have to drop your tank or cut the trapdoor so you can figure out what the previous owner has done, after you know what kind of pickup you have in there, then it's time for a trip to the parts store for a new pickup for a carbureted engine or a new fuelpump/pickup for your truck. since someone else has been in there customizing stuff you won't know what you need until you can actually see it for yourself.

the issue is if you actually do have an in tank pump and it has broken then you probably won't be able to just add another pump inline and have it be able to suck through the broken one.

clear as mud now? :toothless

1 - 20 of 25 Posts