Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself an 84 ford bronco after it has been warned up for a while It likes to bogg out and die at stops I realized that the carberater was getting flooded who ever had it before me put on a after market electric fuel pump so I bypassed it and put on a mechanical pump back on putting it in I realized that the arm was catching anything but tried anyways now the carb is getting no fuel at all

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought myself an 84 ford bronco after it has been warned up for a while It likes to bogg out and die at stops I realized that the carberater was getting flooded who ever had it before me put on a after market electric fuel pump so I bypassed it and put on a mechanical pump back on putting it in I realized that the arm was catching anything but tried anyways now the carb is getting no fuel at all
nothing wrong with an electrical, as long as it is low pressure or you have the pressure regulated down sufficiently.

it sounds like they did not put the eccentric on when rebuilding the engine. you can either pull the water pump and timing cover and put on the eccentric, or install the correct electric and a regulator if needed (may also require a return line)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing wrong with an electrical, as long as it is low pressure or you have the pressure regulated down sufficiently.

it sounds like they did not put the eccentric on when rebuilding the engine. you can either pull the water pump and timing cover and put on the eccentric, or install the correct electric and a regulator if needed (may also require a return line)
[/QUOTE
Thank you it's been a pretty big headache trying to get this thing to run properly I'm pretty sure the one they put on was a high output and I'm not to terribly mechanically inclined besides a few basics and common sense. Would you know the right pump I should be putting on so I don't have to open up everything

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
997 Posts
what kind of carb? Your needle and seat could be bad. Floats out of adjustment....nothing wrong with that pump, as stated earlier 5-7PSI on a carb should be A-O-K.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
997 Posts
Model number? Rarely do you ever just take a carb out of a box and stick it on and it work like its supposed to...unless its a factory carb on a factory engine. Your idle mixture may be too rich too. There should be an idle mixture screw to adjust the flow of fuel at idle (not the engine idle screw but the mixture)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
like I said, that is the gold standard for electric fuel pumps for carb'd applications. I would suggest the issue is with the carb settings then. It sounds like you are unfamiliar enough that you need to either locate a friend or a shop that can tune it, and preferably teach you about what they're doing, and the how.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You might go online and print out some instructions for the carb so that you can check the things mentioned above. Even a brand new one can be off a bit.

CFM is the air flow rate for the carb (basically how big the carb is).

Agree, respectfully, that you need to find a friend who might be able to coach you since the last year for a carb on a Bronco was 1986 I think?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
Are you sure it was flooding? If it's getting too much fuel, it's going to run like garbage cold.

Would it only stall at a stop? Was your hot idle adjusted properly? No vacuum or intake leaks? You can chase a lot of issues down on these old trucks. Ask me how I know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts