Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i have read most of the pages on fuel pumps using the search program and there is a few that are close to what I am having problems with. I am thinking fuel pump but want to get a few more inputs on this. Here is my problem started last week went to pick up my son from school and why i was waiting for him the bronco shut off kinda like when u run out of gas. so i went to start it back up and it kicked over for maybe 5 seconds and died again.So I gave it another shot and this time it didn't start all it was doing was turning over but nothing more.So after i got it towed home the damn thing fired right up I let it idle for about 5 mins then i shut it off and sure enough again it wouldn't start. So i took a look at the manual and it had me ground the fuel pump relay to kick the pumps on so i did that and i could hear the pumps running so i started the truck back up and with in a few seconds the truck died again so this time when i did the relay test the pumps did not come on. If i let the truck sit for a while it fires up but only for a few mins. plus i checked if i was getting spark and there is spark. so what do u guys think ? I am trying to get a few inputs on this before i start changing parts. O and one other thing i changed the fuel pump relay and that didnt help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me, that would depend on price and difficulty. Example-If the pump(s)were located inside the gas tank and the shop wanted in excess of $500 to fix it... then that would be my problem. ha.

Since I tend to try to be resourcefull (cheap) I'd price the pumps at Autozone or Napa and drop the tank myself. A PITA, but saving myself the $300+ was worth it.

Not sure about the double pump set up. Do you have dual tanks? If so, can you run one (presumably the "good one")?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the manual says there is 2 one in tank and other on the fuel line. I would be changing them out my self. like i said just tryng to get input before i start this in the 120 deg. heat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the truck dies, it's definately the one "in the tank". Not overly difficult, just a PITA dropping the tank. I used a tranny jack when I did mine. Unbelievable amount of help over tryin to maneuver the tank back into place.

The pump itself should be fairly simple to replace. Look to pay $60 to $100 bucks for a new one. Don't go used, you only wanna do this once.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
other option is to cut and access plate over the tank and reach it from there...steve83 had some extra plates that he designed to cover it once you were done...dont know if he still has any left.

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,902 Posts
Thats the same thing that happend to me, I changed the one in the take and still couldnt get it to run. Then I changed the other one and it was fine. If I were you I would change them both, along with the fuel filter, all three parts cost me just under $200.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i was thinking of just changing them 2 and the filter. but if there is a electrical problem then where should i check ? the plugs or should i be looking for a fried wire maybe ?

Is there a problem with the supermotors website been trying to get on there to see steve83 page but not working :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts