Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT 351W/ZF5, 1996 F150 XLT 351W/E4OD D44 Leaf Sprung SAS
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was under the back of the bronco today swapping out the rear axle (gear/bearings whining), I noticed that the fuel return line is not connected to my gas tank. I'm assuming that's what it is; steel tube going along the passenger side frame rail, ends with a barb near the top of the tank. Coming from the tank is a hose that looks like it will fit that barb, but it was tucked between the tank and cross member.

I've owned this truck for about 5 years now and this is the first time I've noticed this. I've never had horrible mileage, usually between 10 and 12, and I never smell gas, like I should if the returning gas was dumping on the ground. I plan to just leave things alone back there, unless someone tells me to connect it.

Maybe I'll get a picture tomorrow when its light out and post it.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT 351W/ZF5, 1996 F150 XLT 351W/E4OD D44 Leaf Sprung SAS
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, its a vapor line? Is there any condition where the vapor will condense into liquid fuel, in the tank, if this tube were connected as it looks like it should be?
Or is it supposed to take gas tank vapor to the engine to be 'burned off' or processed in some way?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
If its the vapor line, yes , it goes from the tank to the charcoal canister, then thru the Canister Purge valve and into the throttle body.

CanP is the silver cylinder with a plug in the top of it.

that line goes to the charcoal canister.

The other line in the charcoal canister goes to the fuel tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts