Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel system problem . . . Help!

My 91 5.0 is not getting any fuel while cranking. If I spray ether into the intake it will crank and run just fine. Any thoughts? Recently replaced fuel pump and filter with no results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which fuel pump did you replace. there are two fuel pumps I believe, but if you search for fuel pump you will get all the info you need. Good luck I had the same problem a while back and it was a pain in the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Which fuel pump did you replace. there are two fuel pumps I believe, but if you search for fuel pump you will get all the info you need. Good luck I had the same problem a while back and it was a pain in the rear.
1985-1989 EFI Broncos have a dual fuel pump system having a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the driver's side frame rail along with a reservoir.

1990-1996 EFI Broncos, including TowerRat's 1991, will have a single high pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank.

Fuel Pump > Fuel Line > Fuel Filter > Fuel Rail > Fuel Injectors > Fuel Pressure Regulator > Fuel Return Line

TowerRat, Start by checking your fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay first.

See this link: fuel pump

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine would not run if the fuel pump fuse or relay were bad. It will run and keep running if started on ether, but will not crank on it's own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW SeattleFSB thanks for the info on the fuel pumps. Was pulling my hair out trying to find the second pump on my 91. Didn't want to tell anyone I couldn't find it.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Well, how about KOEO and KOER codes?

Is your ECM SPOUT Connector connected which conveys start-up dwell?

Is it running well only at idle or WOT as well?

Are you running an Ignition Control Box?

It never hurts to confirm your fuel system integrity.

Can you hear the fuel pump activate with key on?

Is the directional fuel filter oriented toward the correct direction?

Did you check the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Did you check for specified fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge?
See the bottom of this link: Confused

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No codes, spout connector is...connected, runs and drives well after starting with ether, no ignition control box - all stock, fuel pump comes on with key in run position.

I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow. The problem seems to be with the injectors not . . .injecting when cranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts