Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anbody know where I can get a sending unit for a 25 1/2 gallon fuel tank for a 79 Bronco? I checked with Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Bumper to Bumper, Napa, Oreillys, NPD, LMC, Hickman motors where I live, Jegs, and Summit and nobody has one or can get one. The only place I found is Broncograveyard and they said they are out and have to get another order in and they won't be in until September. Why would they wait till they run out to get more?

I guess the Bronco is done for right now, I see no reason to install the new tank I got without a working sending unit.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I guess the Bronco is done for right now, I see no reason to install the new tank I got without a working sending unit.
You got an odometer, right? ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I haven't actually started looking yet, but I need a new sending unit as well. My gauge reads way past full most of the time, and occasionally dips down closer to it's actual level...which is almost always about empty. That sucks...I hope somewhere to buy them turns up.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know LMC trucks had one 2 months ago. I ordered one and had it installed.:scratchhe
They told me they didnt have one for a 25 1/2 gallon, I don't know whats up with that?

You got an odometer, right? ;)
Lol yeah thats what I have been doing in the past. But I needed a new tank anyways so I already took the old one out and my new one is still in the box waiting to be installed. I wanted to go ahead and get a new sending unit to. I have placed my order at BroncoGraveyard, guess ill just have to wait till september for their shipment to come in.

In the mean time I might stick the tank back in the Bronco, I want to drive it, lol.

Edit: Almost every place I looked at had the 33 gallon fuel tank sending unit, why not the 25 1/2? I'm guessing not many Broncos came with the 25 1/2?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Anbody know where I can get a sending unit for a 25 1/2 gallon fuel tank for a 79 Bronco? I checked with Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Bumper to Bumper, Napa, Oreillys, NPD, LMC, Hickman motors where I live, Jegs, and Summit and nobody has one or can get one. The only place I found is Broncograveyard and they said they are out and have to get another order in and they won't be in until September. Why would they wait till they run out to get more?

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has sending units for both the 25 and 33 gallon gas tanks. Here's the link to them.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-86
;)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My 77 F150 has factory dual tanks. The rear tank is dimensionally identical to my 25.5 Bronco tank, and mounted between the frame rails, in the rear. I wonder if the sending units are the same?????????????

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have one that works & will be coming out of my '78 when I put in my 33 gallon EFI tank. I'd have to ship it from 95340, if you're interested email me... [email protected]:beer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there any size difference between the 78-79 Bronco take and the 80-96 tanks, as far as fitment into the spot back there between the frame?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Is there any size difference between the 78-79 Bronco take and the 80-96 tanks, as far as fitment into the spot back there between the frame?
I would say that they are different because they are listed separately. Im not crawling under the Bronco to measure, but I have a 33 gal tank from an '85 sitting in my garage if you want numbers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well if anyone has that question I measured and they are the same... good to know if someone wants to go EFI. ChebbyKiller how's the clearance under the hood from a 300 I-6? I have a 78 and an 86, and it seems like the 86 has more room under the hood hands down, I remember my 83 was a tight fit with the I6

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Well if anyone has that question I measured and they are the same... good to know if someone wants to go EFI. ChebbyKiller how's the clearance under the hood from a 300 I-6? I have a 78 and an 86, and it seems like the 86 has more room under the hood hands down, I remember my 83 was a tight fit with the I6
I6 in the 78? I couldn't see there being any clearance issues...My dad has a 93 F-150 with the I6 and i have a hell of a lot more room under the hood of my 79 than he does...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would say that they are different because they are listed separately. Im not crawling under the Bronco to measure, but I have a 33 gal tank from an '85 sitting in my garage if you want numbers.
Fitment is the same, but the resistance scale of the sending unit is different. A newer sending unit will not read right with a 78 79 gage.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
So will the sending unit swap over? I have the feeling it wont because they could still give the tank the same part number.

As for the L6, its not in yet but they came in the same era F150s so I dont foresee any issues. Just found out my second head is cracked yesterday. :banghead

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.