Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped the 25 gallon tank out of my 79 bronco to replace the hoses and thought while I was at it that I should just replace it with a 33 gallon tank as the old one is flaking inside. I've been looking around on the internet and have noticed that most 33 gallon tanks show/recommend the upper tank straps. In comparing the 25 gal tank to the 33 gal it appears the the extra material on the 33 is below the seam.

My question is this. If the top of the 25 and 33 are the same wouldn't this require new bottom straps instead of top or do I need both?

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
There are no straps on the bottom of the 33 gallon tank. The skid plate holds it in at the bottom, straps go over the top. I use a 26 or 27 inch bicycle inner tube with the valve stem area cut out to fit around the tank where the indentations are for the straps and skid plate to prevent wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I think I just answered my own question. At the Bronco Graveyard the sell both the skid plate or bottom straps for the 33 gal tank. The 25 gal tank bottom straps have a different part number so they must be a different size.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would use a 33 gallon poly tank. No more rust issues.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm in the middle of replacing my old fuel tank. The 33 gallon tank hangs about 3 inches lower than the 25 so the lower straps (or skid plate) are different. Don't forget to upgrade the sending unit or you'll have a 33 gallon tank that you can only get 25 gallons out of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts