Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my quandry...

For the last three weeks, I've driven by a Bronco for sale parked a few measly blocks from my house. I HAVE to drive by it to go to and from work. (damnit!) The truck is pretty much exactly my idea of an "almost" dream truck and a wish list of what I want in a Bronco.

Its a '95, black, monochrome, 351m, MSD ignition, chrome headers,4" lift, nice aluminum wheels, brakes replaced in July, starter replaced a month ago, battery one year old, leather interior, grilleguard/pushbars, body/paint in cherry condition, tinted windows, new shocks, new rear end, and Warn manual lock-out hubs in the box in case I want to use them. The owner claims its never been off-road recreationally other than for his hunting trips. He wants $7500.00 OBO. The only thing about it I see that is a detriment is that it has 130,000 miles on it, but it looks well cared for. It needs new tires. I am slated to test drive it tomorrow afternoon, and have my mechanic look it over. (he's a Bronco nut too) This truck really gives me WOOD.
Sounds pretty good, right?

Well, yes, but- my truck is older ('89) and not in as good of shape cosmetically, doesn't have the lift I want, the nice wheels, chrome headers, nice interior, etc., but... the engine is a freshly rebuilt 351, ported heads, headers, flowmaster exhaust, new tie-rods, upper and lower ball joints, steering gear box, steering shaft, new brakes, new rotors, new locking hubs, new battery, new tires, new computer, new water pump, new compressor, condenser, radiator-well, just about new everything but tranny. (but it also has 308 gears- yuck!)

The thing is, I know exactly what I've got in my truck, and what is left to go wrong. With this other truck, who knows what can happen next week?

One last thing.. does anyone want to buy my truck? :D

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
I saw buy the damn thing and keep it purity:thumbup
and then keep your other bronco and well wheel the hell out of it

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broncomx said:
I saw buy the damn thing and keep it purity:thumbup
and then keep your other bronco and well wheel the hell out of it
Not really an option, Broncomx, the nature of my finances dictates that I have to have one or the other. :(

K

·
0 Posts
i think that half the fun of owning a bronco is building it yourself, and doing projects here and there yourself... much more fun than just buying one thats already done... :shrug

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
sounds nice .. sounds pricey and sounds like a can of worms :shrug

ya never know and one thing you do know is that a used vehicle WILL need more money dumped into it no matter how tasty it looks on the outside :confused:

get some pics up here and get your mechanic in the drivers eat and under the hood

and I fully agree with Kenny ... if you got 7500 bucks to drop on a rig, you can throw half of that at yours and maybe make nicer .. even MORE to your liking

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KENNY said:
i think that half the fun of owning a bronco is building it yourself, and doing projects here and there yourself... much more fun than just buying one thats already done... :shrug

I hear ya, but no man is an island, and for some reason, my wife just can't understand why I need to build all of that stuff on my truck, but, conversely, thinks that "shiny" "newer" truck with all the neat "stuff" is a better investment. (I think she really likes that it is newer, more than anything)

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
i feel that i have to agree with kenny one this one anyone can "buy" a bronco but it is more fun if ya build your bronco the way you want.. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
look at my edit above ^^^

QUOTE]Originally posted by Damager

and I fully agree with Kenny ... if you got 7500 bucks to drop on a rig, you can throw half of that at yours and maybe make nicer .. even MORE to your liking
[/QUOTE]

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
can't go wrong with a wheelin bronco and a daily driver bronco:)

Buy it and don't ever look back!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking of offering $6000.00

K

·
0 Posts
1911copper said:
on my quandry...

For the last three weeks, I've driven by a Bronco for sale parked a few measly blocks from my house. I HAVE to drive by it to go to and from work. (damnit!) The truck is pretty much exactly my idea of an "almost" dream truck and a wish list of what I want in a Bronco.

Its a '95, black, monochrome, 351m, MSD ignition, chrome headers,4" lift, nice aluminum wheels, brakes replaced in July, starter replaced a month ago, battery one year old, leather interior, grilleguard/pushbars, body/paint in cherry condition, tinted windows, new shocks, new rear end, and Warn manual lock-out hubs in the box in case I want to use them. The owner claims its never been off-road recreationally other than for his hunting trips. He wants $7500.00 OBO. The only thing about it I see that is a detriment is that it has 130,000 miles on it, but it looks well cared for. It needs new tires. I am slated to test drive it tomorrow afternoon, and have my mechanic look it over. (he's a Bronco nut too) This truck really gives me WOOD.
Sounds pretty good, right?

Well, yes, but- my truck is older ('89) and not in as good of shape cosmetically, doesn't have the lift I want, the nice wheels, chrome headers, nice interior, etc., but... the engine is a freshly rebuilt 351, ported heads, headers, flowmaster exhaust, new tie-rods, upper and lower ball joints, steering gear box, steering shaft, new brakes, new rotors, new locking hubs, new battery, new tires, new computer, new water pump, new compressor, condenser, radiator-well, just about new everything but tranny. (but it also has 308 gears- yuck!)

The thing is, I know exactly what I've got in my truck, and what is left to go wrong. With this other truck, who knows what can happen next week?

One last thing.. does anyone want to buy my truck? :D
if you offered YOUR bronco 6000, it could overpass everything you typed there... i would think twice man, just my .02 :shrug

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Read the post again Kenny..the current owner hasn't realy done anything to it...even the Hubs haven't been installed. It's just pretty much stock with a few after market bolt ons (headers ignition pushbar...)...:shrug Theres still plenty of working on it himself he can do!!

I say go for it..(I'd try to get him to come down usualy if they put OBO then they are planning to negotiate a little)...but then again look at "The Beast" other than the 351 you described mine when I bought it. I paid 8K for mine.:shrug Thats if you realy just gotta have it....

Heres a senerio for ya: you buy it for 7k, you sell your for 3k, you've come out of pocket with 4k....could you make yours "give you just as much wood" if you put 4k into it??? Thats the question you gotta ask yourself...finances also play a role...if you decided 4k into yours would make you just as happy, then stick with it cause that 4k doesn't have to happen all at once....Does that help any?:shrug

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Fullsize members- what is your opinion

KENNY said:
i would think twice man, just my .02 :shrug

I am. That's why I'm here taking in all of your opinions. :confused:

K

·
0 Posts
im just saying, people will say anything just to sell their ride... i speak from 4 times experience (against me!)... the hubs - he could have wheeled the SHIT out of the automatic ones, and got the manual ones cause he knows he's ready :shrug you just never know what has actually been done to a vehicle... and buying a "modified" 4x4 for $7000 is just a risk he might have to end up taking... i dont know, just givin advice :shrug :shrug :shrug

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Oh I understand Kenny, and it's hard to tell without pics, it just doesn't sound all that "modified" to me...:shrug
The rides I saw when I was in OKC we're no where close to the "modified" rigs I'm used to seeing around here...:toothless

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KENNY said:
im just saying, people will say anything just to sell their ride... i speak from 4 times experience (against me!)... the hubs - he could have wheeled the SHIT out of the automatic ones, and got the manual ones cause he knows he's ready :shrug you just never know what has actually been done to a vehicle... and buying a "modified" 4x4 for $7000 is just a risk he might have to end up taking... i dont know, just givin advice :shrug :shrug :shrug
I just ran a check on it through carfax.com. Everything checks tip-top, and he said he is the second owner, buying it in 1997. Carfax confirms this. I asked why they were selling it, and it is because of that shiny brand new Ford truck in the drive. They thought they could keep both, but the wife says they can't.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blaze said:

I say go for it..(I'd try to get him to come down usualy if they put OBO then they are planning to negotiate a little)...but then again look at "The Beast" other than the 351 you described mine when I bought it. I paid 8K for mine.:shrug Thats if you realy just gotta have it....

Yeah, Blaze, as a matter of fact, the first thing I thought when I saw it, is "hey, that looks a lot like Blaze's rig" (cosmetically)

Blaze said:

Heres a senerio for ya: you buy it for 7k, you sell your for 3k, you've come out of pocket with 4k....could you make yours "give you just as much wood" if you put 4k into it??? Thats the question you gotta ask yourself...finances also play a role...if you decided 4k into yours would make you just as happy, then stick with it cause that 4k doesn't have to happen all at once....Does that help any?:shrug
Yeah, that makes sense, but what doesn't make sense, but STILL IS... is that the wife doesn't support dumping money into my old rig, but DOES support the idea of me buying this one. :shrug :shrug :shrug

K

·
0 Posts
1911copper said:
Yeah, that makes sense, but what doesn't make sense, but STILL IS... is that the wife doesn't support dumping money into my old rig, but DOES support the idea of me buying this one. :shrug :shrug :shrug
women

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KENNY said:

Its true that we'll never completely understand women... but hey, a woman that would sell $7000.00 of her day-trade stocks to buy her hubby a new truck? I think she's a queen among women!:beer :kiss

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
1911copper said:
Yeah, Blaze, as a matter of fact, the first thing I thought when I saw it, is "hey, that looks a lot like Blaze's rig" (cosmetically)

I think it makes perfect sense. Shes a women, Newer, shinier is her inborn nature.

The way i look at it....7500 asking price, You offer...5700-6000 cash its yours most likely. Sell yours for 3-4, So....You spend 3-4k on a newer rig. Its already lifted, and has the look you said you want...

The downfall is, Like Blaze brought out...thats big change all at one time. You could order a lift, with all the add ons and goodies for 1500, Spend some on body work...And have a lifted, Fresh motor, Good looking truck for probably under the 4k difference in buying the 95.

Just my crappy reasoning..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts