Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever fully welded their body shell for rigidity like I have seen them do in a rally car shell
wonder if it would help prevent the roof gutter cracking experienced on later model units,or maybe make it worse?

I have a perfect 78 shell I am working on and was contemplating fully welding the spot welded seams, it would be really easy to do now as shell is on its side on a rotisserie of sorts
I can tell you, man these things were built quite shitty back in 78

I know if you take the flex out of one place,something else will flex

truck will be mostly street driven, tow rig, will see some pretty energetic dune runs and some light off roading,not really any crawling or serious off road as truck will be pretty much mint when I am finished
will have a healthy 460 and auto trans and 33'' tires with no or maybe a 2'' lift(need to keep fairly low) to fit where I need it to go

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Crappy build or not, I am going on several years with a 460 and no cracks yet.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
anyone ever fully welded their body shell for rigidity like I have seen them do in a rally car shell
wonder if it would help prevent the roof gutter cracking experienced on later model units,or maybe make it worse?

I have a perfect 78 shell I am working on and was contemplating fully welding the spot welded seams, it would be really easy to do now as shell is on its side on a rotisserie of sorts
I can tell you, man these things were built quite shitty back in 78

I know if you take the flex out of one place,something else will flex

truck will be mostly street driven, tow rig, will see some pretty energetic dune runs and some light off roading,not really any crawling or serious off road as truck will be pretty much mint when I am finished
will have a healthy 460 and auto trans and 33'' tires with no or maybe a 2'' lift(need to keep fairly low) to fit where I need it to go
If I were to do a full body resto I would fully weld the rain gutter seams, Not so shure I would do that with anything else though. Main reason I would do that would be to make it leakproof without requiring sealant of any kind.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,050 Posts
I agree with Gacknar on that, Im not so sure it would be worth welding up the seams without also doing the cage as it will just move all the weak points to somewhere else. I think I would at the least do a GT style roll bar if you welded the gutter seams and b-pillars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not have that much bronco experience (just got my first one) but i have done a lot of track car builds in the past. Some cars we welded the body some we didn't. we have done no body weld and roll cage, body weld out roll cage and just roll cages. the welded body did not net as much rigidity as the roll cage did on its own. i would think if your looking for more stiffness then i would go with a roll cage. also i would think that welding the body on something that is going to be offroading might be a bad idea since the body can no longer flex might put more strain on the body mounts and cause problem there..
just my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts