Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
In Front of Jopes
3,558 Posts
I don't think its a good idea:

1) Someone could open it without you knowing it, a good way to get revenge, or vandalize someone's vehicle
2) It could get tripped by something like if you were in the backwoods.
3) I don't think its worth risking starving your engine of oil if it were to be opened by someone or by accident.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its a good idea:

1) Someone could open it without you knowing it, a good way to get revenge, or vandalize someone's vehicle
2) It could get tripped by something like if you were in the backwoods.
3) I don't think its worth risking starving your engine of oil if it were to be opened by someone or by accident.
Exactly what hubby n I were thinking when he showed me the ad

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,850 Posts
I have a similar one on my 4Runner. The EZ drain valve. It has a larger opening and a spring locked valve. It has a barbed end to attach a piece of tubing to make draining cleaner.

It is hidden above the skid plate so it would be difficult for someone to release it if they even knew it was there. No more burnt fingers taking off the drain plug and no chance of stripping the nut.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
7,502 Posts
It seems like it would be ok for a street vehicle. But I'd be worried about breaking it off while offroading. It looks like it would stick out quite a bit further than the stock plug. And it looks like it's brass, which is soft & easy to break.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you are doing 3k drains these things are awesome. No more hot oil running down your arm.

An accidental opening is unlikely. The lever actually needs to be pressed down and then turned. There are also options for a plastic clip or a heavy metal spring clamp to further secure the lever.

They are definitely larger so concerns off roading are legit. May not be the best choice if your rock crawling.

Wish I had access to Orey before the engine was pulled to snap a pic. It's not as if it dangles down.

One downside you don't see mentioned, most drain plugs are magnetized. This one by its nature is not. The Fumoto won't go back on until 6k miles after the engine swap is done.

As for vandalism? That's possible to, but I have a sneaking suspicion if someone were intent enough to crawl under your truck to even figure out you had one, they are pretty hell bent on doing something bad anyway.

One caution, Fumoto's website defaults to a later metric thread. My '93 took a 1/2-20 UNF thread. Part # F-101 has the correct threads and the short spout.

Fumoto's customer service was great, sending out the new part before sending a return label and letting me keep the extra plastic keeper as a spare.

All-in-all I'm a fan. When spinning of the old filter becomes the toughest part of an oil change... I call that a win!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
They are quite popular on the F150 forums, for newer trucks. They come in handy for people who have to crawl under trucks without a lot of clearance to change their oil. Plus the newer trucks have the drain plug on the side of the oil pan and if you can't get the drain pan close enough the oil gushes out on and hits the sway bar and frame rail. The drain plug on my Bronco is on the bottom of the oil pan so there's no benefit to using a Fumoto on it. I have a 2 post lift so I can get the drain pan close enough on my F150 so it doesn't make a mess. So I don't have any use for a Fumoto on the F150 either. It would only slow down the draining process for me.
But a lot of people find them useful. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. It def seems like it has its pros and cons. I just thought it would be easier for me to do oil changes instead of always sticking hubby or the boy with it :grin2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been using those valves in my vehicles for five years now and love them. Because of the valve and the oil filter being on top of the engine, my wife's car (Outback) is the first car I've ever owned that I don't have to jack up to change the oil.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My 300 series John Deere has a similar valve on it from new in 1988 and it works great!

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,876 Posts
...the engine oil BETTER be warmed up before you try to use these type of valves, Had one on my Ranchero. I recommend the style that you can put the drain hose on.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,857 Posts
...the engine oil BETTER be warmed up before you try to use these type of valves, Had one on my Ranchero. I recommend the style that you can put the drain hose on.
Shouldn't it always be? :shocked

:thumbup

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used to have one of those valves on a car back in the 80’s..... I LOVED it....... thank you for the reminder to get some of them for my current vehicles. I normally don’t think of those until oil change time, but that’s as far as it gets!

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isn't that what kids are for? :scratchhe
It is... But he has enough going on with his dirt bike build, football, and freshmen year that he doesn't need to worry about helping me when I'm perfectly capable. Lead by example :grin2:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to have one of those valves on a car back in the 80’s..... I LOVED it....... thank you for the reminder to get some of them for my current vehicles. I normally don’t think of those until oil change time, but that’s as far as it gets!
No problem @nra1ifer glad I could help :grin2:

·
Registered
935 Posts
I might have to look into something like that for my F100. I hate changing the oil on that truck because it goes all over the I-beams, cross member, and tie rods and makes a real mess. Having one of these with a hose I could run over things would help. I don't think ground clearance would be an issue as something would have to go though my front cross member before it'd be able to hit the drain plug. My Bronco is a piece of cake as the drain plug points straight down and there's nothing under the pan, so it goes right in the oil bucket for me.

It's hard to make out, but the drain plug is on the very top right hand side above everything in this pic. It's due for an oil change as well.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might have to look into something like that for my F100. I hate changing the oil on that truck because it goes all over the I-beams, cross member, and tie rods and makes a real mess. Having one of these with a hose I could run over things would help. I don't think ground clearance would be an issue as something would have to go though my front cross member before it'd be able to hit the drain plug. My Bronco is a piece of cake as the drain plug points straight down and there's nothing under the pan, so it goes right in the oil bucket for me.

It's hard to make out, but the drain plug is on the very top right hand side above everything in this pic. It's due for an oil change as well.

Some of the stuff they've done with the newer F series trucks is so stupid. They really have some ass backwards engineering in those rigs... Practically have to take the whole front clip apart just to work on some parts of the motor... I've heard lots of complaints from people. Say it looks like it was engineered by a 5 year old.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts