Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nope, I never took many pics back then. It was a standard remote oil filter kit. A street elbow is a tight radius fitting, found in most hardware stores
And should be avoided if at all possible. Use the largest radius that will fit. If that is a straight hose end and a gentle bend in the hose that is the best. The bent tube type hose ends are the smallest acceptable radius. The forged & machined hose ends and street 90°'s are too tight and will cause cavitation in the oil. Be that oil engine oil, PS fluid, ATF, it's all the same as far as that goes.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,000 Posts
And should be avoided if at all possible. Use the largest radius that will fit. If that is a straight hose end and a gentle bend in the hose that is the best. The bent tube type hose ends are the smallest acceptable radius. The forged & machined hose ends and street 90°'s are too tight and will cause cavitation in the oil. Be that oil engine oil, PS fluid, ATF, it's all the same as far as that goes.
It wont matter on a drain valve...

On a pressurized line, yes, that is great advice. Also applies to exhaust

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
Actually Blackhawk had different owners over the years including a partnership with Armstrong. Stanley Works has owned Blackhawk since 1986. I have a few tools listed for sale marked "Blackhawk-Armstrong". Until something like 5 to 10 years ago Blackhawk was a purely USA made brand and I believe the ratchets and wrenches are imported now. If you go to Grainger.com it will tell you the country of origin. There was a Chip Foose tool set with toolbox by Mac and it looked so freaking similar to a set made by Blackhawk. Mac isn't what it used to be, like Proto its owned by Stanley Works, now Stanley Black and Decker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk_(tools)

Blackhawk is owned by Proto, and is their cheaper line. Like snap-on has bluepoint. Cant say if they are imported or not. Much of mAc tools are imported now, but from Taiwan. I had a micrometer and dial calipers from mAc and they were excellent quality, made in Taiwan.

Y'all have it too easy! Try a 2003 mustang, lowered an inch, with a DOHC under the hood. The pan drain isn't the bad part. It's getting to the filter with enough torque to loosen it. Then you have to pull it between the power steering and some other junk, all while oil is draining all over the engine crossmember, steering rack, and frame. Theres even a channel for oil to follow and drain off the crossmember! I used to just shove a couple red rags up there to catch most of it. My van has a drain channel too, but it's not as messy.

For those who want the ultimate in ease of oil changes, I have a recommendation.

Thread a steel 90° "street elbow" fitting into the pan drain bung. Then add this here Fumoto valve. That will keep vertical protrusion to an inch or so. Then, remove the oil filter and cooler puck if you have it. Purchase a dual remote oil filter kit and mount it on the passenger frame rail behind the front bumper a ways (like under the battery area). If you so choose, you can put a finned cooler in line after the filters. The filters spin on completely vertical, so oil never spills out of a cockeyed filter. And not more than a few drops come from the filter base. I say dual filters, because it guarantees good clean oil. I ran my 94 this way for years with 8000 mile oil changes every 6 months. Oil was still transparent when it came out. When I tore the engine down at 150,000 miles due to a cracked head, the bearings were in excellent shape. Not a single one had any copper showing through. The filters had these finned aluminum heat-sink covers on mine, but idk how much that helped cooling. If my 300 didnt have such an easy to access filter, I'd have done the remote filter thing already.

NOOBIE QUESTION lol

@cobrajoe what is the benefit to draining the oil when hot. I've done a lot of cold oil changes in the past. I figured if the oil is cold, its had as much possible time to all drain back to the pan.

Should you drain immediately after shutting the engine down, or wait say 5 minutes for some oil to drain back down?

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,876 Posts
I prefer to drain it warm, not hot. For several reasons; warm means that it has emulsified most if not all of the contaminants, warm means that most of it has drained back into the pan, warm means that it drains reasonably fast, and most importantly warm means that it won't burn me when inevitably splashes on me.
Allow me to clarify "Hot", as in after the engine has been run; in other words, not cold.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,000 Posts
Still wouldn't do it unless forced by the situation. How you one thing is how you do everything.
You trying to pick a fight? This is a simple drain valve. Its not a 1000hp engine oil system lubricating twin turbos. Have you even seen any of my work? Better step back before you really insult someone.

·
Forward Some Money
5,025 Posts
My .02. I've had these in several vehicles. IIRC, this one has been on my early Bronco for about 15 years. Had one on a 7.3 diesel. VERY handy. I hate trying to remember which car has what size plug.
NEVER had any tamper issues. Only had one weep a little. Could be an issue on a lower riding vehicle, but most times, it would hit something else first if positioned right.

Now that I'm reminded of them, maybe time to update the fleet!!

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just did a short OCI drain and installed the metric valve the new pan needed.

This is my first using the quick connect tube. How are you folks cleaning/storing the tube once you are done draining the oil?

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My .02. I've had these in several vehicles. IIRC, this one has been on my early Bronco for about 15 years. Had one on a 7.3 diesel. VERY handy. I hate trying to remember which car has what size plug.
NEVER had any tamper issues. Only had one weep a little. Could be an issue on a lower riding vehicle, but most times, it would hit something else first if positioned right.

Now that I'm reminded of them, maybe time to update the fleet!!
Hey @j. r. Nice how have they weathered in heart of Ohio winter salt?

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
The nice thing about my 7.3 is I can put a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan and remove the nut to drain it, put the lid on and then take to recycling center for disposal with the filter. I don't even need to jack up the vehicle to put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the oil pan!!!

·
Forward Some Money
5,025 Posts
The pictured one hasn't seen a lot of OH winters, but it saw a few in VA. It's on a hot-rod that no longer knows what snow/salt/brine are.

The F450 one held up well. I can't imagine brass would have any issues (like iron) other than the discoloration. The seals are probably pretty welled lubed.
If you are still leary, I wouldn't worry. The cost of them and the added convenience makes up for a lot. I wouldn't worry about vandalism. Most people aren't willing to crawl under a dirty truck, or on the ground. Then when they see it, they probably wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
Kinda like a manual shifter ….lol

·
Forward Some Money
5,025 Posts
The nice thing about my 7.3 is I can put a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan and remove the nut to drain it, put the lid on and then take to recycling center for disposal with the filter. I don't even need to jack up the vehicle to put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the oil pan!!!
Mine was pretty much the same way. It was a high ridin' F450. The only problem is getting the plug out and the bucket under it without it hitting the new concrete
driveway. Then fishing out the plug if you drop it.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
BroncMom,
My oil filter can beat up your oil filter:goodfinge Regular gas oil filters are like 1/8th -1/4th the size of these filters.
(not my truck)

PS do you use a oil filter socket? Those are nice to have instead of a strap, one thing I gave up with a diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
BroncMom,
My oil filter can beat up your oil filter:goodfinge Regular gas oil filters are like 1/8th -1/4th the size of these filters.
(not my truck)

PS do you use a oil filter socket? Those are nice to have instead of a strap, one thing I gave up with a diesel.
Hey @Mike W ... I'm not even sure... I'm gonna have to check that out tomoro. My mechanic did my last oil change since he had her on the rack anyway doing other stuff.

I've always used the strap but we probably have both. Between hubby and the boy there's soooo many tools in the garage.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
Hey @Mike W ... I'm not even sure... I'm gonna have to check that out tomoro. My mechanic did my last oil change since he had her on the rack anyway doing other stuff.

I've always used the strap but we probably have both. Between hubby and the boy there's soooo many tools in the garage.
I always liked these and used them for oil filter changes on all of the gas vehicles I had. One word of advice, NEVER EVER USE FRAM FILTERS!!! That is unless you want your engine to blow up. Cheap azz oil filters.

Wix and NAPA Gold oil filters is what I recommend, or Motorcraft from the Ford Dealer. I use the latter for my 7.3 otherwise always NAPA Gold for my gassers. Always Mobil 1 synthetic if its a gasser (I use shell rotella T6 for my oil burner) or regular NAPA or Valvoline oil if its a beater.
Don't pay the extra dime for fancy oil filters.

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
12,000 Posts
Oh by the way, if you run the remote oil filter kit, it allows you to use the FL1A filter, instead of that little 820s that some of you v8 guys (and gals!) have to use for clearance.

I run motorcraft on everything I can. The all aluminum mustang engine got K&N oil filters and Mobil 1

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh by the way, if you run the remote oil filter kit, it allows you to use the FL1A filter, instead of that little 820s that some of you v8 guys (and gals!) have to use for clearance.

I run motorcraft on everything I can. The all aluminum mustang engine got K&N oil filters and Mobil 1
I had never even considered that as a possibility. That would actually let me change the oil on my wife's car. Freaking tight spaces and stupidly angled oil filters. :banghead

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts

hah! good times. History from the Beater.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
You trying to pick a fight? This is a simple drain valve. Its not a 1000hp engine oil system lubricating twin turbos. Have you even seen any of my work? Better step back before you really insult someone.
Nope, not trying to pick a fight. Are you?

All too often people take short cuts that later bite them in the arse and they don't know why. See it happen a lot in life and on forums. If we can try to prevent that, shouldn't we? Isn't that the point of forums like this?
Its one thing to blindly do something that might not be tolerable in that or other circumstances. It's quite different to do it when you understand why it is OK to do it there and nowhere else.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts