Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,999 Posts
Nope, not trying to pick a fight. Are you?

All too often people take short cuts that later bite them in the arse and they don't know why. See it happen a lot in life and on forums. If we can try to prevent that, shouldn't we? Isn't that the point of forums like this?
Its one thing to blindly do something that might not be tolerable in that or other circumstances. It's quite different to do it when you understand why it is OK to do it there and nowhere else.
Nope :thumbup

I will agree with what you said there. No situation is the same, so it's a two way street. One cant say that since something is not suitable for one application, that it wont work in any other application. That's like saying since "millennials cant drive a stick", that no 30 year olds can drive one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone familiar with these ? Do they actually work as advertised?

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/?target=model_product&modelId=578691
GOOGLE FEMCO.com. They have a fitting/valve that replaces the drain plug. To drain they have another piece with a hose attached that screws into the fitting that releases an internal valve. I have one on an Expedition. Makes it easier and cleaner to drain into my 5 gal recycling jug. FEMCO also has an EBAY or AMAZON store that is cheaper that the prices on their main website. I've seen FEMCO valves used in industrial applications. - Db

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
Figured I'd give an update for anyone looking into one of these valves.

Instead of using a regular drain pan I used a 3 gallon jug I have for consolidating oil after multiple changes. I ran the hose straight into that, so it was very mess free, minus the oily nature of my leaky 302. The hose they send you, if you order from the Fumoto site, is ridiculously long, so what you're seeing is only a small section with the rest of it stuffed into the jug. I didn't want to cut it as I may use it on other vehicles down the road and they won't all sit as low as my truck does.

After I started it I went back topside to check on things and a couple minutes later when I wanted to see if it was done I just looked under my driver side door to see how the hose looked. All done.

A video for those who crave moving pictures.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Instead of using a regular drain pan I used a 3 gallon jug I have for consolidating oil after multiple changes. I ran the hose straight into that, so it was very mess free, minus the oily nature of my leaky 302. The hose they send you, if you order from the Fumoto site, is ridiculously long, so what you're seeing is only a small section with the rest of it stuffed into the jug. I didn't want to cut it as I may use it on other vehicles down the road and they won't all sit as low as my truck does.

After I started it I went back topside to check on things and a couple minutes later when I wanted to see if it was done I just looked under my driver side door to see how the hose looked. All done.

I got one in my mazda and I love it, makes oil changes tool less. Was thinking of putting one on the 78 but not sure if it sticks out took much for that. If yall ever need a replacement plastic clips I have 2 extras!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

That's awesome... I'm sold. Thanks for the update 👍

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Do y'all change your filter with every oil change or every other?

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
I change my oil filter on every oil change. Can't say I've ever skipped changing the filter.

Speaking of filters, the only thing that would have made this oil change any less messy would be an oil filter relocation adapter and mounting the filter in a perfectly vertical position somewhere. I still get a little spillage sometimes when spinning the old filter off.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've always done mine every change too, but... Something I read somewhere so I figured I'd ask. Doesn't seem right to not change it every time.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It could be something some manufacturers suggest on newer cars. Just like some oils say they are good for 15k miles or whatever.

On my old vehicles I just do 3k-ish changes and always change the filter. On my wife's '06 Honda I change it when it tells me to. lol

With the new engine going into my Bronco I may decide on a different routine specifically for it since I'm starting from scratch condition-wise on the engine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've always done mine every change too, but... Something I read somewhere so I figured I'd ask. Doesn't seem right to not change it every time.
On the mazda I do it every 2 times since I drive mostly highway but bronco is definitely every time

·
Super Moderator
14,762 Posts
Would be nice for the Bronco but I'd worry about it getting smashed...Got one sitting on the shelf in my garage to put in my 4Runner..problem is the oil only gets changed every 10K...so I'll be waiting a while..

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
309 Posts
Got one on mine but I don’t thrash off road much!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Would be nice for the Bronco but I'd worry about it getting smashed...Got one sitting on the shelf in my garage to put in my 4Runner..problem is the oil only gets changed every 10K...so I'll be waiting a while..
Yeah, that's my only concern on it for my Bronco as well, especially after climbing some rocks and seeing what kinds of things I hit under there. I'm sure a lot of people driving Broncos that rarely see off road use would be fine with one.

My 2wd truck has a lot of things protecting the drain plug that would have to get severely smashed before the plug got hit.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well, mines a street queen for the most part aside of the light trails back to camp so I think I'd be good 😊

61 - 74 of 74 Posts