Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick this up soon. Waiting on the lost title, but it's mine, as long as the truck makes it home.

First, a question on battery isolation:

I paid $500 plus a NEF shotgun for it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on battery isolation, nor do I want it to burn to the ground with me in it. I was wondering what cheap way of battery isolation would be best. I want to run some components off of the secondary battery while I'm in the camper and not worry about draining the truck battery to leave me stranded. I thought about a battery switch like track vehicles, being able to cut the main power to one of the batteries, doesn't matter which, because it isn't a main vehicle, and there aren't a lot of electronics on a '73 GMC.

I want to run at least 4GA wire, which I have plenty of. I have a 200A 0GA fuse block and a few others that I've had sitting around for the past couple years, and thought about running that back to the camper with a switch, but to charge it, I wasn't sure about isolating the batteries to run at the same time, or if there was a better way. I saw where one website showed being able to run one of the batteries at a time, or both with a special harness. Should I just have switches on both batteries, and flip between them like dual tanks?

Anyway, the rest I want to work with is as follows:

The truck needs paint. Whether I want practical, fun, or ridiculous is the question. This will be sitting in front of the apartment in the driveway, on the street, or maybe around the block, depending on how upset mom gets over it. Believe me, I've seen some crazy stuff around town, including the camo short-bus a few blocks over. I'm either doing camo, black with designs everywhere (possibly Punisher style), or just redoing the white on the camper and having fun with the truck. For fun I was thinking I want to hang pots on the outside of the camper. Doin' it Jed Clampett style.

Probably picking it up this weekend, I have Friday-Sunday off. I just won't have legal plates to drive it back until the title gets here. I do have a notarized bill of sale. Payday is tomorrow, but it has been raining a ton. So may or may not get around to awesomeness, depending on weather. Also want to mount the Kicker L7 12"s and Orion HCCA-2400D in the camper, Truck Club for the steering wheel security, since the keyhole is gone from the driver's side, I'll see what I can do for actuators and see if I can install my car alarm that I've had sitting around. I have a couple CBs and antennas in the garage, I want to mount one of them. I have an XBox, two Dreamcasts, PS1, GameCube, SuperNintendo, a portable DVD player, Pioneer LCD monitor, and a garage full of lights, wires, two power inverters, and junk to mess with. The more I get rid of, the happier mom will be.

Missing some parking lights I might replace, might also add LED mood lighting.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Heh...nice shaggin waggon :thumbup:

What exactly do you plan to do with it? Just something fun to camp and play with?

KC

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
V8? 4wd?

If so, build it up, if 2wd, make it a mean street rod. :D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for camping. Maybe pissing my boss off by driving it to work and parking it in front of our store. I want to get a nice 4wd truck in the future, maybe keep the camper and sell the truck then. I think it's good to have a nice fuel-efficient car and a truck. Just need to get a nice car or truck. The S10 is junk, IMO. It only gets 17MPG.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
Mmmmm...camper...(slobbering noises)...! You can buy an electronic isolator for not very much money, a diesel battery tray (bolts on the other side of the engine compartment), and a cutoff switch for the engine battery so you won't be left stranded. mount the switch on the dash and wire it in on the GROUND side of the engine battery. Then install the battery tray, the battery and isolator (isolator should be on the alternator side of the engine compartment to keep the wiring minimal), and wire it up. The isolator is supposed to keep the engine battery separated from the house battery when the engine is shut off, and charge both batteries when running.

·
Registered
496 Posts
couldn't you use one of those marine battery switches? i remember we had dual batteries on our boat and it could be 1/2/both/off

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Camper doesn't leak. Its been non-stop rain for the past couple weeks. Will probably be grabbing a couple tubes of silicone to coat the seams.

Will probably buy a marine battery so I can run it dead. It'll possibly happen often.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0704_4wd_2001_jeep_tj_battery_isolator/photo_02.html

Keyed isolation switch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-Battery-Isolator-BM-200A-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a07c21126QQitemZ180518785318QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100
Battery terminal disconnect (I think O'Reilly or Wal-Mart has these): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BATTERY-MASTER-DISCONNECT-CUT-OFF-ISOLATOR-KILL-SWITCH-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d291e31e7QQitemZ400121803239QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Marine dual-battery switch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-Marine-Battery-Isolator-Switch-COMPACT-LESS-SPACE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5192fa9f86QQitemZ350358249350QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
100A relay isolator: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCOSCHE-100-AMP-CAR-BATTERY-CONNECTOR-RELAY-ISOLATOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45eea7a26eQQitemZ300356706926QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Here's a little more description in the isolators. I almost forgot about this site, it's one of my tabs, but thought about it just before it popped up: http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

According to the description given, it looks like the marine switch would work fine for me. I could use a marine battery, charge it up under battery two or both, turn the switch to battery one when it's charged, and just use that most of the time.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, ya. Engine bay. This may be helpful here. I have plenty of room to work with:

Back of the camper. Definitely needs some paint to cover up the old flaking paint:

I figure I'll do Rustoleum professional with a roller. I believe that's what I used on the interior of my Bronco after removing the headliner. It rolled on just fine and made a nice coat:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought it, sold it next day, that guy is trying to sell it now, camper is gone. Got a trailer. Same ideas, but they'll work better. The S10 sucks for pulling, but at least I can use this with any truck as long as it's strong enough to pull. Using a deep cycle battery and using a battery tender.

Day after I bought it:

Taken yesterday, added a few little bits and pieces from garage sales. Mounted the CD player and speakers, put up a couple panels from a Miele display that got thrown away from our store, rewired the tail lights and interior lights, added an anti-tamper switch inside (just a rocker switch) for the exterior lights, removed that white bracket the tiki torches were in, using a bungee strap now, put a comforter on the bench and put a carpet runner on the floor instead of replacing the whole carpet.

Plan on adding some windows or plexiglass, and making the front stick out further and more aerodynamic. Thinking of using two boards at a 90 degree angle, remove the propane storage, and make the front storage larger. Possibly have a hinged board that flips down from the bench to make the bed wider. Contemplating how to brace it, if I want brackets that swing out and the board rests on, or try to mount something permanently, or if there is another better option.

Thinking of painting it. If I get a deal on some paint, I just may.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Boy you change your mind fast :D I've had a similar idea, but though about making something like it but able to haul a quad in it as well. Basically a poor mans toy hauler.

Is that an old military trailer?

KC

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, just bolted a couple ammo boxes on the side. Has some huge tires.

The camper/trailer was just in bad condition. The new owner sold them already too.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I just put $100 down on a truck to haul it with:

1980 Dodge Power Wagon W150 Standard Cab Short Bed

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something new again, but got a cheaper trailer that's larger. Got tired of that trailer and found a big toy hauler that I'm turning into a camper. Just need to figure out how to line it for insulation, other than particle board like the last guy did. Here's what I posted on another forum:

Bought the trailer for $300. Needs light work, serial number for title (using plate from other trailer to bring this home), then lining sides with insulation and trying to figure if I want 1/4" plywood, sheet metal, or something else to line the walls. Thinking of getting that clear corrugated stuff they sell at Home Depot (I deliver for them) for windows, wanna get those put in before insulation. Might find some old home windows or something they can't sell. Want to do a fold-down loading ramp and take out the doors. Maybe do some overhead storage or something fun with this. I have some bamboo flooring someone gave me a box of 6' lengths. I can line part of the floor. Installing the battery, doing a bed at the front with storage below, and running an amplifier to some speakers now that I have room. Still trying to decide what A/V setup I want to do since I have all this stuff sitting around. I own 4 amps other than the one in my Celica, and 3 aftermarket stereos. Keeping one amp and one stereo in the Dodge. The Sherwood I may just hook up to a couple cheap-o speakers I jacked from some rear-pro TVs and just have it so people can plug their iPod into it and flip a switch to turn it on, or solar battery tender on an ATV battery. So many ideas and so much stuff laying around. I even have a nice solid wood mantle/bar top. Might actually do those mounts for the Tiki torches I always planned on for the other trailer.

So here's pics of the new one, and the old one I fixed up below it, going to jack some lights and stuff for the new one. Depending on what I can get. If they try to knock me around on price, I'll just take all I can, like those ammo boxes too. I paid $350, figure I can get that if I only steal a couple lights and put one of those ATV batteries in for the lights.

Old:

Prior to mounting, installed a power inverter, battery tender, Alpine sub amp, MTX Thunder4000 10", CD stereo, and had some red cold cathodes, blew the box for them, or something:

I bought some solar battery tenders from NewEgg.com, have three left since one was a gift, for $52. Be good to just have it hooked up to the battery instead of having to plug it in all the time.
Newegg.com - Sunforce 52013 1.8 Watt Solar Battery Maintainer Twin Pack

Trading the one NEF shotgun for 5 hours of work on the truck, and he said he usually charges $50/hr (be about $100) to rebuild the carb. Last person offered $150 for the shotgun, they're $150 new without the kit at Wal-Mart here, so good deal for me not spending money and he'll get it done. I'll just work on the trailer and let him work on my truck. He does a lot of work with Dodges, has a Ramcharger at his house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts