Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAN THIS SITE RULES!!! I have found some many things wrong with my bronco since i bought it, and i have found nothing but help and info on this site to help me out. THANKS GUYS

I got another one for you:

When i turn my tires all the way to the left and back up, i get a boom/click. It is something in between the too. It isn't a boom like something broke but it is definetly louder then a click or snap. I can't place it. I had a buddy turn my tire and i got under the truck. He rolled about 2 inches and it happened again. I sounds like it is coming from the passenger side front axle but when i get behind the tire, it sounds like it is coming from the steering dampner area. This is the weird part. Once I make that turn and the boom/click happens, the next time i put my brakes on after straightening my tires out, it happens again. It NEVER happens unless i turn my tires over left and back up.

Ideas???

My Bronc:
Stock height
33" tires
no damage in wheel wells or bumper. Inner part of the tire has some chunks missing but nothing is cliping that part of the tire (that i can see).

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Broken axle shaft due to a locked auto hub :shrug

Just did one two weeks ago. Had popping, banging going on passenger side. Axle shaft was broke right where the ujoint goes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was this something you can fix on your own?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
was this something you can fix on your own?
Anything you can fix on your own. As long as you have proper tools, internet service to connect to FSB, diagnosing skills, and most importantly, PATIENCE :twotu:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything you can fix on your own. As long as you have proper tools, internet service to connect to FSB, diagnosing skills, and most importantly, PATIENCE :twotu:
This is true but i am curious how if even know what was wrong. I mean, how did you he see the break, is it something EASY to replace or is my truck going to be out of commission for a minute

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anybody have any more insite on this. I have researched and researched but i can't seem to find anything. I have read all kinds of different reasons it COULD be but i just dont know where to start.

Any ideas other then the right front axle shaft

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
right front CV joint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your ujoint in between your stub axle and your inner axle.

In there.
so basically you are refering to the ujoint on the front right axle shaft...?

I am lost. I am so used to a pub to break everyting down for me. DAMN YOU NAVAIR!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and what exactly are you saying is wrong? I am jsut curious because i have no clue what i am doing. I love the idea of tearing it apart and seeing what is wrong to fix it but what exactly am i looking for? Am i looking for a warn bearing in the U-joint?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
the bearings are shot.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
what? just replace the u joint.... the needle bearings are shot. You'll be able to see when you take it off. The caps should fall off and they'll be pretty rusty on the inside. Broken needle bearings in the ujoint itself.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
MAN THIS SITE RULES!!! I have found some many things wrong with my bronco since i bought it, and i have found nothing but help and info on this site to help me out. THANKS GUYS

I got another one for you:

When i turn my tires all the way to the left and back up, i get a boom/click. It is something in between the too. It isn't a boom like something broke but it is definetly louder then a click or snap. I can't place it. I had a buddy turn my tire and i got under the truck. He rolled about 2 inches and it happened again. I sounds like it is coming from the passenger side front axle but when i get behind the tire, it sounds like it is coming from the steering dampner area. This is the weird part. Once I make that turn and the boom/click happens, the next time i put my brakes on after straightening my tires out, it happens again. It NEVER happens unless i turn my tires over left and back up.

Ideas???

My Bronc:
Stock height
33" tires
no damage in wheel wells or bumper. Inner part of the tire has some chunks missing but nothing is cliping that part of the tire (that i can see).
You have the thread on the vibration too, correct?

You should read up on changing a front axle Ujoint because if you are going to do this, you may as well be prepared to do several other things while it's all apart:

Ujoint, spindle bearing, regrease hub bearings, or if in bad shape install new bearings/races, and since it's all apart you might want to check and be prepared to tackle balljoints.

Then x2 this because if the one side has issues and looks bad, the other side is probably not far behind.

And it does sound very possible that this is a worn out Ujoint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have the thread on the vibration too, correct?

You should read up on changing a front axle Ujoint because if you are going to do this, you may as well be prepared to do several other things while it's all apart:

Ujoint, spindle bearing, regrease hub bearings, or if in bad shape install new bearings/races, and since it's all apart you might want to check and be prepared to tackle balljoints.

Then x2 this because if the one side has issues and looks bad, the other side is probably not far behind.

And it does sound very possible that this is a worn out Ujoint.
...i do have a thread about a vibration. We you going to say that that has something this has somethign to do with the vibration???

You know, i have been thinking about tackleing this project more and more everyday. The only issue i have with replacing eveything you have talked about, ball joints, u joints, spindle bearing, and hub bearings is i have ABSOLUTELY no idea what the hell i am doing. i think i might be able to tackle the ujoints without a problem but i know the ball joints are a pain. I do know that i can find everytihng i need to when it comes to this site. I have been searching up all the different threads that have to do with this area of the truck and i have found DIY for most of them. I am good with that. The thing is i dont know where to buy the parts. Jeff's graveyard, well, i have had problems with them 4 times now and i dont know where else to look. Along with that. My bronco is my ONLY means of transportation other then my bike (crouch rocket) and i am not sure how much time it is goign to be out of comission once i tear it apart.

Maybe i should just un-wod my panties...

·
Registered
305 Posts
...i do have a thread about a vibration. We you going to say that that has something this has somethign to do with the vibration???

You know, i have been thinking about tackleing this project more and more everyday. The only issue i have with replacing eveything you have talked about, ball joints, u joints, spindle bearing, and hub bearings is i have ABSOLUTELY no idea what the hell i am doing. i think i might be able to tackle the ujoints without a problem but i know the ball joints are a pain. I do know that i can find everytihng i need to when it comes to this site. I have been searching up all the different threads that have to do with this area of the truck and i have found DIY for most of them. I am good with that. The thing is i dont know where to buy the parts. Jeff's graveyard, well, i have had problems with them 4 times now and i dont know where else to look. Along with that. My bronco is my ONLY means of transportation other then my bike (crouch rocket) and i am not sure how much time it is goign to be out of comission once i tear it apart.

Maybe i should just un-wod my panties...
Man, I just got my ball joints and u joints and brakes done at a place in the ghetto in Houston. The ppl there spoke only spanish but I got all of that done for 200, plus I brought them 200 worth of parts as well. Look around in the rougher areas of town for general mechanics and see what the quote you. Yes, its not going to be a nice place most likely however if they know what they are doing then you can get it done for very cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts