Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuse Block Upgrade - Finished

My plan is to upgrade/replace my current fuse block from the old glass fuses to the blade type fuses (ATOF/ATC) and increase the size of the fuse block so I can add in the additional circuits for the lights, OBA Pump, CB, etc. that I've added. I've done the 3G alternator upgrade so I know I have the power available for a bigger fuse block. The bigger fuse block will allow me to consolidate all my fuses in one location instead of searching for them as well as clean the wiring up.

Current fuse block has 5 separate circuits within it -

1. Constant Power
a. Courtesy Lights
b. Emergency Flashers

2. Constant Power through Headlight Switch
a. Instrument Panel Lights

3. Power though Ignition - Run
a. Heater - A/C

4. Power through Ignition - Run
a. Seat Belt Warning
b. Engine Solenoid

5. Power through Ignition - Accy/Run
a. Turn Signal Flasher
b. Accy (Power Rear Window)
c. Back Up Lights / Windshield Washer Pump
d. Radio

I look at a bunch of aftermarket fuse blocks and couldn't find anything that would fulfill all my requirements so I went looking in the JY's to see what I could find. I found a fuse block in a mid 80's Chevy Suburban (yeah, I know!) that I can modify to meet all the requirements I need to meet. I currently have the replacement fuse block torn apart so I can begin the rebuild and final install, I had to order some connectors for my outbound wires, so once those come in and I have a free weekend (or 2) I can make the switch over.

[/IMG]
Current fuse block, 10 fuses, no room for additional fuses unless you get creative.

[/IMG]
Back of current fuse block.

[/IMG]
Fuse blocks I pulled from the JY, I'm using the fuse block on the right as it has room for 19 fuses.

[/IMG]
Power connectors I had to remove in order to set the fuse block for my requirements. I pulled a bunch of these while at the JY.

Different size power connectors that are reusable, I just cut the wire off as close to the primary crimp as possible.

I will update this as things progress, I'm open to any and all inputs on this.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i put a painless auxiliary 7 circuit panel in my truck, 3 hot 4 ignition, i mounted above the gas pedal, hot went directly to the battery and for the ignition a wire went to the factory fuse panel for a ignition hot source.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No cutting or welding required with this fuse block/panel required, I'm only using the fuse block (front) half and not the back half that goes through the firewall.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished this up today, still need to upload one picture (Excel spreadsheet) after I convert it to a jpeg file and I have to do that at work. Once I have that, I'll do a full write up here. It took me about 8 hours to do overall, ran into a couple of issues along the way which took some time to figure out plus the location of the fuse block is not the easiest place to work.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/IMG]
First, I figured all the wires going into and out of my fuse block.

[/IMG]
Next I plotted out how I was going to set up the new fuse block.

This is what I had originally. The bottom fuse block I added in to expand the original fuse block, it's tied into a relay that's fed from the battery. Relay is activated by the ignition key.

[/IMG]
First thing is to remove the fuse clips from the old fuse block, these are a PIA to remove. You have to press in the small tang on either side of the clip and push it out the back at the same time.

[/IMG]
Old fuse blocks removed.

[/IMG]
Fuse clips removed. I cut these off as close to the clip as possible to give me max wire, I remove the old clips and installed the new clips on each circuit (1-5) one at a time before I moved onto the next one.

[/IMG]
New clips that have to be installed for the new fuse block, I bought them from here: https://www.waytekwire.com/ and they are called Delphi connectors. Minimum order for each size clip is 50 so you'll have plenty to play with. You use these for single wire or out bound connections to the individual circuits.

[/IMG]
These are the connectors you'll reuse on the power in to fuse block. I pulled a bunch of these from fuse blocks since you can't buy them. Since only one crimp was originally used, they can be reused. Some of them I had to open up the unused crimps because they were crimped at the factory for some odd reason. Don't have a picture of everything swapped over to the new clips, got to all involved and forgot to take a picture.

[/IMG]
The end product all installed.

No more glass fuses, no more secondary fuse block and room for additional circuits. I was going to used the flasher connection in the corner but I didn't have the proper terminals, if I find them I'll wire it in. I did have to lower the fuse size on the Heater-A/C Blower to 30A from 35A, A/C is long gone and I hardly use the heater. I still need to mark all fuses and what they go to, I'm thinking of making a plastic cover and labeling the cover with the fuse info.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put the final touches on this today, I put a piece of Teflon sheet behind the fuse block just as protection from something possibly touching the firewall. I also realized that I did not have a constant power supply for my radio memory so I had to redo the one circuit by swapping out the power feed in clip to a bigger (more connections) clip so I can tap into it.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel it was worth it. All my fuses are in one location, no more glass fuses - nothing against them, but there are 3 different sizes in the old fuse block, I was able to combine 2 fuse blocks into one and I still have room to add in additional circuits if need be. I've never seen the fuse adapters nor did I look for them and I don't think you could find the adapters to fit all the fuses, especially the small ones.

·
Registered
758 Posts
From what I've seen, the '96-01 Explorer/Mountaineers and Crown Vics from the same era have really nice, modular fuseboxes that would make for a sweet retrofit into a vehicle that needed an upgrade.

·
September 15 FOTM
1,477 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans
234 Posts
ah ok great - I saw those at ebay and amazon, costing below 20 bucks and easily available even in Germany.

This helps fixing my decision to go for the change.

was it a big job?
2-3 hours?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts