Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an FSB for about a year now about to get in on the road and tidying up the last bits of it. I'm finding the headlights are not coming on at all but all other lights are dash, running lights etc... So I just swapped the headlight switch in the cab still the same problem. I'm also noticing that the tailgate motor is out as well as the power locks. I've noticed a random dangling cable that looks like it should have gone to the starter relay (I think that's the right term it's the unit attached to the passengers side fender where all the battery and start cables run to).

Anyway I've just started learning about fusible links I was wondering how do you check them if they are working or not. Also there is absolutely no power going to the headlamps checked the plugs with a meter I also popped the headlights on with a battery and they light up. Hazzards blinkers dashlights etc... all work. The courtesy light is questionable as I have seen it come on occasionally but not always.

I will gladly take any advice anybody would be willing to offer. Also this is my first post and I'm thrilled there is such a thriving fsb community. My family had a 92 FSB Eddie Bauer just as I was old enough to drive and I've been in love with them ever since!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you uhh, check the headlights to make sure they weren't burnt out...start simple.I'm not sure if the 84's have a fuse for them or not... Start at the end of the h/l harness and follow the main power wire all the way to to the dash, make sure it isn't broken or loose. I found mine melted on the manifold once, causing my headlights not to work :) If it looks good, get a meter and check for 12v at the headlight, if not, follow it back until you find your 12v, then you will find your problem.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
30,847 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I narrowed in on the problem.

To answer some questions though.

Yes I did test the headlights off a mini battery pack they lit right up

There was no power at the plug or the headlights neither high or low beam

The advice was good though I traced the wires back and they all looked good right into the high beam foot switch. I removed the switch and tested the plug with a meter there. It had power on one +side but not both I jumped the two +'s and bingo head lights. I took this as wiring is good switch is bad. I cleaned the switch up as good as i c removed the springs etc cleaned inside and i get high beams now but no low. I assume thr switch is bad but i guess there ould still be an issue with the low beam + since i have to put the switch back in anyway I'll replace it with a new one as a first step. Will be heading out for a new hi/lo switch this afternoon to try it out.

I also found two horrifically decayed and burnt up relays or transformers hard to tell but they had coils in them like a transformer mostly decayed away with no power in them. Power at plug not in transformer I'm not sure what they do but I intend on replacing them. I found them on the drivers side wheel well attached to the bundles going back to the firewall.

Thanks again!
Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve83 thanks for the details. I am not having any of those problems so I guess I'll consider myself lucky.

Also the headlights are fixed turns out it was just a bad hi/lo beam selector switch pretty easy fix really. It was a good exercise to get under the hood and trace the wires though. It's definitely pretty simple under there once you take a few hours to start poking around and get a feel for things. I'm glad I did this and even though it appears the fusible links are all in good shape I'm going to pick up the various size spares and keep them in the truck for emergency replacements just like fuses.

I picked up some new 20A circuit breakers for the rear window motor I'm hoping that does the trick there as well.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're relays, but read this caption & the NEXT few before buying replacements:

Hey just took a second look at this and I see what you are saying now. It took me a bit to realize you were replacing the relays and the relay sockets. That is definitely an upgrade I'm going to do. Do you know if the sockets are typically available at the local parts shops?

I'll do the blade deal and wrap it up good if I can't find them even though it may not be 100% the best way it is definitely better than the mess that is under there now.

Thanks again man that was a great tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.