Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to get started, my trucks a 95 with a 5.8L. Pretty stock...

Alrighty, so yesterday, I had to drive to my mom's work to return her keys that I accidently kept in my pocket from driving her truck and on the way over there I noticed me truck making a noise. I wasn't exactly sure what it was so I started to mess around and try and figure out where it was coming from. It's sort of a whineing noise that seems to be coming from my right and the the front a little. Kinda hard to place... Anyways, drove it on down there and had my mom follow me home in case something happened. I figured out on the way home that it only does it when you're giving it gas from about 35mph up. It gets a lil louder and more high pitched the faster you go but goes away when you let off the skinny pedal. Got home and explained the situation to my dad and I drove him down the road to listen to it, but he can't hear worth a crap and couldnt hear so we pulled it into the barn lot and he thought it might be the transmission. I agreed because the tranny has had a problem since we got it last year. It sorta has a clunk from 1st to 2nd but if you can time it right, it won't do it. So we pop the hood and check the tranny fluid and realize its pretty low, as in it doesnt even get over the lil loop on the end. So today I went to OReiilys and bought a couple quarts of tranny fluid and ended up having to put both of em in there to get it up. Drove it down the road and that solved absolutely nothing. So then my dad decided it could be the tires. So we checked em and they were looow... like around 25psi, so we aired em up to about 35psi or so and went for another ride down the street and nothing. :banghead I cannot figure it out. I searched but I couldnt really find what I was looking for.... I have no idea what it could be, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Check the oil in your axles and tcase. Noises "travel" sometimes in vehicles. The description of the sound makes it seem like a rear end whining like it's low on oil.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I go about checking the oil there? I know it might seem like a dumb question, but I've never had to check rearend or t-case oil before and I don't really 'member seeing anything about it the manual. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think its a steering thing. It doesnt make noise when turning or whatever, just accelerating. I'll check when its light again. Thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There will be a fill plug on the back of your rear axle, on the cover. Take it out, the oil should be up to the bottom of the hole. The front will be the same. On the Tcase there will be 2 plugs on the backside of it. The lowest one is the drain, the higher one is fill. Use 80-90W in the diffs(i do anyways) and Mercon transmission fluid in the tcase.

Wal-mart's automotive should have this little squirter thing with a hose that you can screw onto the oil bottles, it will make the job easier, especially on the tcase. You might as well go ahead and change the oil(we call it "dope" around here) in the rear end and tcase. The front end is ttb and you have to tear the whole front end down to change. Just check and fill it as needed.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then look further, but then you'll know you fluids are good.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty then. I'll check my power steering this morning and check the other stuff tonight when my dad gets home. I'll probably grab me some oil tommorow and we'll see if it works. Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just got home and took a quick peek under the Bronco and I can't find the fill plug on the rear. I haven't pulled anything yet because I'm worried I'll screw something up. I found the t-case's fill and drain plugs. On the front, on the front cover, theres like a square ended bolt thing and thats the fill plug, correct? I looked all over the rear axle and there's nothing like that on the cover. However, on the front (towards motor) end of the axle there's a plug similar to the drain and fill plugs on the t-case (opposite of the axle, square goes in instead of poking out). Is that it? It's about right through the middle on the driver's side, off to the side of the driveshaft.

That was it, I found some exploded views of the axle on Steve83's supermotors page. Man, he's helpful without even being here! lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So checked all the fluids and they're good. My dad suggested bearing this afternoon as well. Guess we'll try that tommorow.... if it isnt horribly cold, suppose to get really cold tonight. Gah, hate cold

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check to see if your Bronco has a limited slip differential. Your Haynes or Chilton will tell you how to check for that. They make all kinds of weird noises if you do not have enough friction modifier mixed in with the rear end oil.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
You can change the front axle lube by getting a "suction gun". They're pretty cheap, and will let you suck most of the gear lube out through the fill hole. Better than nothing, and easier than drilling and tapping the chunk for a drain plug.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had a similar problem with mine and it ended up being the U-Joint on the rear drive shaft. It started as a squeal, kind of sounded like a turkey to be honest. It got progressively worse over the next couple days.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I may have been wrong about the 8.8s fill plug. Look on the front/driver side of the diff for a little plug with a square 3/8s female socket head. I was thinking about the D60 in the rear of mine. My bad on that. I promise there is one, just look around and you'll find it.

And yea the square headed bolt in front is the fill plug.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found the plugs and checked the levels and they're good. I didn't get any new fluids though, running really low on funds right now and driving a Bronco isn't really easy on the wallet. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't gotten a chance to check bearings, but its next on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe I can get this fixed without taking it to a shop... maybe...

·
Registered
117 Posts
So what did you come up with? I've got a whining problem with mine. I've done check after check which makes it a good possibility it's the bearings.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Run your hands across the tires and see it the tread feels feathered. If you have worn suspension components or an alignment problem, then the unusual tire wear will make a lot of road noise as you go faster. Probably not your problem since you said it is related to the amount of gas you give the vehicle, but it is a cheap and easy thing to check.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts