Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a search on homemade lift but didn't come up with anything like I'm asking about.

I've heard of this but never seen it first hand. How difficult? Doesn't seem like it would be to terribly complicated. Is it a viable option for gaining a little lift? Anyone got a link to a site or a tech write-up on such? I've got access to most any type of steel imagineable to do such a thing whether it be flat plat or structural (tubing, channel, etc..) thanks to my old job (steel manufacturing outfit).

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about a shackle flip, I'm talking about moving the spring mounts further down on the frame and fabricating some tubing or plate for new mounting holes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well how much lift are you looking for. Why not sky schackles:shrug They will give you four inches.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a problem with the shackle flip, I've just heard of people moving the front hanger further down the frame and was wondering if anyone here has seen or done such. Is it even worth the trouble or safe for that matter? I'm new to this stuff so be patient with me, please. So the shackle flip gives you an honest 4-5" of lift with no mods to the front hangers? :shrug

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While we're on this subject, let me toss something else out there.......

I repeat, I'm new to the hardcore 4WD scene.

When the time comes to slide a D70 or a 10.25 or a 14 bolt(whichever one I fid the best deal on) under this thing and I've already done a shackle flip, can I continue to use my 1/2 ton springs or will they need to be tossed along with the 8.8? Please pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hope someone else will chime in on this one, but it seem to look like you can keep your 1/2 ton springs. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rem_243 said:
Sorry if i came across as obnoxious, i'm still a hazable newbie. This site might help

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/
Scroll down the page and there they are.
Not at all obnoxious rem, I'm right there with you when it comes to being a noob. Those sky manufacturing shackle pieces look damn purty :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
i think they have got a group buy going on em now

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
yes they do, $108 shipped. Check out the Classified section. You will prob have to relocate the spring perches on the 1 ton axles, but I dont see any reason why you couldnt keep your springs, unless they are beaten and in need of replacement.

you can move the spring perches down to get lift, but i think a shackle flip would be a better route. it uses the current bolt holes, requires only the removal of the rear shackle, proven gains of 4-5" of lift, corrects pinion angles, and does not require you to add extra metal to the bottom of your frame.

if you are too cheap for even the sky's at the mass buy price, you can go to a junkyard and get a front hanger from a late 80s 3/4 or 1 ton truck and accomplish the same thing. I think thats the part you need, someone else will be able to tell you exactly, but I think the sky's are a better buy.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
$108 vs $20 and it's a better buy? ... yer kidding right?

and yes you can use your old leafs if they aren't played

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,883 Posts
squattyD. a shackel flip only will lift the rear, he is needing info about relocating the front spring perches lower on the frame for lift.

Im sure this could be done, just measure the amount you want to gain, well them lower to the frame with some additional bracing . do you have the dual front shocks if so that would probably be good to help with any stress issues as well. measure twice and cut and move once.

good luck

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I think I gained like 8" of lift on my Sky brackets.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
raisedIIperfection has done this

What you'll want to do is, make sure you have something to support the hanging coil and shock towers. This shows the crossmember I built for him, to do exactly that -

The best you're going to get is, a 3" lift in the front, but not 3" more suspension travel - so don't get confused about that

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Damager said:
$108 vs $20 and it's a better buy? ... yer kidding right?
Often you have to harvest them from a yard, with minimal power tools, and take quite a long time. If you happen to have a parts vehicle nearby, then yes, the donors would be a better buy, but I would rather get sky's than lie in the dirt of a pick n parts yard for 3 hours banging out rivets.

kemicalburns said:
squattyD. a shackel flip only will lift the rear, he is needing info about relocating the front spring perches lower on the frame for lift.
No, he was talking about the rear. He said mounting points (plural) and then when Damager mentioned the shackle flip, he said he wanted to know about more moving the brackets down.

makemeknowit: i would do the shackle flip in the rear, and some coil bucket relocating in the front.

·
3,419 Posts
truckinsuspension.com sells relocated springs hangers, front or front and rear. Looks like show-truck quality, questionable if actually used. From 4 to 10 inches of lift, looks like the taller lifts incorporate a shackle flip, interesting.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
SquattyD said:
Often you have to harvest them from a yard, with minimal power tools, and take quite a long time. If you happen to have a parts vehicle nearby, then yes, the donors would be a better buy, but I would rather get sky's than lie in the dirt of a pick n parts yard for 3 hours banging out rivets.
3 hrs... try about 15 minutes TOPS for both to lay on the ground :thumbup of course the removable bed helped a little ;) ... use a 4.5 grinder instead

GRINDERS RULE .. just bring an inverter and an extension cord to the junkyard and get to work :p

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Zach94 said:
truckinsuspension.com sells relocated springs hangers, front or front and rear. Looks like show-truck quality, questionable if actually used. From 4 to 10 inches of lift, looks like the taller lifts incorporate a shackle flip, interesting.
You talkin about this one?

That's cute, but it's for a rear suspension, I saw nothing in there for the front suspension. Besides, those parts looked questionable, at best

1 - 20 of 30 Posts