Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. So i have a detached garage and after last nights snow storm and todays constant rain, the whole garage is under about 3" of water. Good thing all my things are on shelves or up on 4x4's. But the driveway(which is about 120 feet has a slight downslope to the garage. Then the garage is set about 2" lower. Now the driveway is all funked up with tree roots ripping the pavement all over. But im probly not going to be able to work out there for a week with all this water. Im going to pump it all but the hole property is pitched at a slight angle which all points to the garage. But im renting so repaveing is NOT going to happen. i was thinking a trench with a grate over it but im not sure exactly what to do, or even where to get the parts... any ideas? thanks for the help....

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Yeah, a trench or an angled speed bump to redirect the water to a ditch or something.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
at work we used to have to sweep if it rained a little and we were there while it rained, and bust out the shop vac for a few tanks worth of water if we weren't there or it was storming, but it sounds like you have a bit more than a shop vac could handle

maybe a sump pump but i think you'd have to dig a pit for it

·
wanna suck my
1,697 Posts
I would say you would want to dig a ditch around the whole garage But not right not to it because then the water will still seep in, But dig it about 2-3 feet away fill it with rocks, or even make it concrete and then witch ever is the lowest point in the ditch ( i would make the start of the ditch shallow then as you get closer to where the water will exit the ditch get deeper and deeper, that way the water will flow better) lay some sewage pipes and then run them to the street or creek or where ever. The only thing you would need to cover or lay more pipe for sould be the entrance for the garage.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the problem with draining it to the street is I got about 150 feet to get it out to the street, or 120 feet through the guy behind me's yard...The garage is in the corner of the property and i got about 2 feet on one side, 2 feet behind , obviously a driveway on the front, and about 4 feet until the pool on the other. i really got nowhere to get the water to go. DAMN RAIN!!!

·
Banned
495 Posts
well the rain will stop eventually and your renting, so just sand bag it tellt he landlord decides what to do.

Ray

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
What's your garage floor and driveway made out of ?

I'd find the lowest point at the front of the garage or on the driveway just in front of the garage.

Dig or bore a 12" wide hole about a foot deep. That's all you'll need. Then drop a puddle pump into the new "sump" hole you've dug.

Run the hose under Flander's fence, or into his garage or basement window and fire that mutha up !

The water will run to the lowest point and into your "sump" hole, where the puddle pump resides and it'll pump the place dry for you.

Puddle pumps are less than $60.00 new and they'll suck in water as low as 1/4"

Sixlitre

·
Banned
495 Posts
if your cheap like me you can use a old chevy water pump as a sump pump. mount a electric drill to it and cap one side off..

Ray

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
french drain before the door into a 30 gal drywell

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
You read my mind. French drain was the first thing I thought of, too. :thumbup

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
French drain, or home depot has one of those sump tanks for cheap, with a little sump pump on it... garden hose... and you'll be good to go.

Yeah man, it rained like a bitch down here a few hours ago... We've got an 8HP long head pump down in the feeder tunnel at the plant, and it couldn't even remotely keep up with the rain coming down. I watched a 4" pipe flow water for hours and the tunnel just filled, and filled, and filled. I left the thing running overnight...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, you wouldnt know where id be able to get a french drain the width of the garage door would ya?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
well the problem with draining it to the street is I got about 150 feet to get it out to the street, or 120 feet through the guy behind me's yard...The garage is in the corner of the property and i got about 2 feet on one side, 2 feet behind , obviously a driveway on the front, and about 4 feet until the pool on the other. i really got nowhere to get the water to go. DAMN RAIN!!!
pump it down the pool's backwash drain

·
Banned
495 Posts
you make a french drain, dig it down put the perf pipe in angle it to where u want it to run cover with 1"-3" ROUND gravel

Ray

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
yer a renter. keep your own shit dry and move the f*ck out asap. pita, i know. don't spend a dime of your own money and remember this experience when you are shopping for your own home.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The water pools up right infront of the garage door. So digging a trench without some kind of grate over it isnt going to work. I can dig it and put rock, but im having trouble finding a grate to go over it so i can still move shit in and out of the garage....

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
The water pools up right infront of the garage door. So digging a trench without some kind of grate over it isnt going to work. I can dig it and put rock, but im having trouble finding a grate to go over it so i can still move shit in and out of the garage....
just pick up the grates you find in parking lots:toothless

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
ok, where are you in westfield? second what you want to do is get over to homedepot. go into the pluming asile with the large black and galvanized pipes at one end. directly across the asile are more fittings, and on the shelve above or around are 2-3ft long sections of exactly what your looking for. they go together like pvc pipe, are 4in wide and about 5-6in deep and can handle a good amount of water. then after you get that also get a leaching tank, or subpump tank and drill holes into it. dig a hole and bury it, fill the area around it with some rocks and your good to go.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
As much as it sucks you need to remember that you don't own the place. The French drain ideas are great, but not cheap, and you'd be foolish to pay for an upgrade like that to a place that you don't own. It sounds like whoever built the garage put it in a really stupid place, but that sort of second guessing doesn't do anything to fix your problem. Really the only thing that you really can do is talk to the landlord about what he plans to do to fix the property, and he may very well tell you to pack sand. If it were me I wouldn't do any more than maybe install a cheap sump pump to get the place usable again, but that's only a band aid on a much worse problem. Good luck with getting it fixed. Also, if you're going to be stuck there for while you definitely need to look into flood insurance!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts