Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I can't tell you how many times I have had suspensions and axles in and out of my Broncos. Over the years I have learned to work smart as opposed to hard. No matter how strong you are, wrestling TTB arms can be frustrating. I have become pretty competent at utilizing one or more ratchet straps to give me the advantage during assembly / dis-assembly.

With that in mind, I need something to strap to. Strapping to the vehicle you are working on can yield less than ideal angles and there isn't much else in the garage solid enough. I decided to build a floor anchor with an extra weld-on tie down ring I had kicking around. I used four 5/8" concrete anchors with 1/2" bolts and a 3/16" steel plate. Remember, this isn't a recovery point on a vehicle, just something to hook a strap to. Here is a pic of the start:

I'm apparently retarded and over tightened one of the bolts and snapped it off. :banghead Check this out.... my lady was in the house watching TV for the night. I insisted she come out and see my Friday night project and when she came out I was tightening the last bolt. "So cool" she said, then 'snap'! Wow, not what I wanted her to see.

Apparently, these Redhead brand anchors are pretty soft grade 2 hardware. I should have broken out the torque wrench. Instead, I picked up a Matco 15" 88 tooth ratchet form a garage sale and have been using it for everything... too much leverage. My options now are limited. I really think 3 of these 5/8" anchors will serve my purpose but I can't deal with the failure. I think I will place a nut over the broken stud and weld it on as best I can. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
When I mount my tubing bender to the garage floor I was thinking about using some large drop in anchors instead of stud style anchors so I don't have a trip hazard when storing the bender. One could then also use a Grade 8 bolt.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0150105

These style anchors have worked good for me in the past. More than once I've used them to mount a tugger to the floor when pullibg in large electrical service cables. They always held.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,662 Posts
I fixed the link for you Adirty. :thumbup

Good idea cstrike but how much leverage to you think you'll be putting on that setup? if the bolts busted on you with just a regular wrench... you might consider upgrading the whole deal. I'd hate to hear of you relying on it at some point and it failing and possibly hurting your rig or yourself.

As for the little lady being there... can't imagine it would happen at a better time.
don't feel alone. my ol' lady knows it's a miracle if I don't break something or hurt myself at least once with every accomplished job around here. :brownbag
I've turned around after cursing out inanimate objects only to find her there, watching me through the open shop door... just grinning and then walking away.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
If I would've saw this before now I would've told you about making sure you punch all the way through your concrete with the drill bit. if you drilled through the pad completely you could just drive that one in and place another, or when time comes to remove it an angle grinder won't be needed to remove the stubs.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some good ideas here, thanks as always!

Actually, I knew enough to drill all the way through because someone had suggested it but I forgot. :doh0715: Dang it. And the reason they suggested it was to be able to pound them flush if I ever changed my mind. This plate is mounted up close to a wall and will be under my big roll around toolboxes. That too is why I am not worried about a catastrophic failure, the plate would lose most its energy slamming into the bottom of the box.

And Pepe, isn't it funny. There is how we see ourselves and want others to see us and then how our women see us. She knows what I really am but will usually humor me. After the bolt broke I could see her trying not to laugh but she went in the house and got me a beer :beer She says her greatest fear is she will find me crushed under the Bronco and made me build some giant jackstands. I told her it is the 2nd best way to go....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I wish you guys could have seen the look on my wife's face when I exploded a homemade fitting off of my 2-stroke dirtbike exhaust pipe while trying to fill it with compressed air and heat a dent out. 25 psi sure makes a lot louder boom than you would expect! I still can't find that fitting and yes I did eventually get the dent out. :toothless

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
1) Saw-cut the floor, then break out a pocket that you can backfill with concrete & recess the whole anchor point. I plan to use 2.5" receiver tubing in my new shop so I can drop in anchors, or jack stands, or a tubing bender, or a vise stand, or...
2) weld another small plate to the corner of that one, drill a new hole, and set another anchor bolt.
Interesting. Are you thinking of making it flush or are you planning to have it pin Able? I guess you would make a cover to drop in to keep dirt out. I think I would make the socket extra long so it wouldn't wobble like a trailer hitch.

Don't they make some kind of threads that will stay in the concrete, but you can loosen and tighten the bolts as much as you want. Then you could just remove the item. I suppose you still have to cover the holes so they don't fill up.

I currently have a vise mounted on a tractor-trailer wheel. It's fairly sturdy, but it will move if I hit it with a ten lb. sledge.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,141 Posts
I just figured you were showing off your incredible strength to her by breaking steel like that. Should have broken off another to show it was intentional. :toothless

If you do cut it out, going bigger across & deep enough to use a anchors like you'd use for a pole might be an approach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts