Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i took my top off yesterday...i decided to take the spare tire off....this left me with just the metal frame of the carrier, and i was just thinking that it would look really cool to make a couple of brackets that weld onto the carrier that would hole some gas cans....not very practical and wouldnt really serve much use, but i just thought it would look really cool

anyways, i was wondering if anyone has done this, or seen a bronco with this done....pics would be appreceiated

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
on a stock rack, if you keep them empty it would work

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
My Bronco has a 32 gallon tank why would I need more gas?

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
yeah, I was thinking it would be cool to throw a tripod in the back and stand where the rear seat. Then, get this, gonna look really cool. Mount a BB gun. That's right a BB gun. Not really useful, but still, it would look cool. or shall we say Kewl.

seriously though, where are you going to put yor spare? I will not leave my parking lot without my spare, regardless of my BB gun status.

:stupid That looks really sweet. Like the hinge and lock, when I get my hands on a welder, I am totally gonna have to borrow that design.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
ToddACimer said:
My Bronco has a 32 gallon tank why would I need more gas?
Several days off road, plus a nice trip there, is why I carry one. Though at times it seems to just feed those with bad fuel mileage, or big blocks.:doh0715:

Gas can:

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i said it wasnt practical.....or very useful

i just said it would look kinda cool....and since the swing away rackw as there, i figured some1 has fabbed up something that would hold a gas can on it

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i said it wasnt practical.....or very useful

i just said it would look kinda cool....and since the swing away rackw as there, i figured some1 has fabbed up something that would hold a gas can on it

·
Registered
531 Posts
i would rather have a spar then Gas tanks... both would be the best though

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have come to think that on any oversized tire as a spare.. Roof rack it. You get to keep the space inside, and I unerstand that after 4x4 with a oversized tire on a stock swing out you will have damadge to the body where the hinges mount. I have Been talking to RaisedIIperfection (http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/member.php?u=285) about making me one and turning the swing out into a jerry can holder (one 5 gal can = about 30lbs depending on temp).

On the subject of steel jerry cans, can you guys buy them?
I'm on the boarder of Californa, Arizona, and Nevada. Cans can't be sold in Ca,. or Az. But I got mine in Las Vegas 12 months back for about $25.00 eack new.

On spare tire or extra gas. I have a guage to tell me I'm going to run out of gas, and I have the brain to understand what to do... I do not have a warning devise that I'm going to blow a tire. I take a spare with me.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
884lps said:
I have come to think that on any oversized tire as a spare.. Roof rack it. You get to keep the space inside, and I unerstand that after 4x4 with a oversized tire on a stock swing out you will have damadge to the body where the hinges mount. I have Been talking to RaisedIIperfection (http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/member.php?u=285) about making me one and turning the swing out into a jerry can holder (one 5 gal can = about 30lbs depending on temp).

On the subject of steel jerry cans, can you guys buy them?
I'm on the boarder of Californa, Arizona, and Nevada. Cans can't be sold in Ca,. or Az. But I got mine in Las Vegas 12 months back for about $25.00 eack new.

On spare tire or extra gas. I have a guage to tell me I'm going to run out of gas, and I have the brain to understand what to do... I do not have a warning devise that I'm going to blow a tire. I take a spare with me.
I wouldn't do this. Although the swing out is not good for a large tire, I would never put my 99lb. tire up top. what a suck ass place to put all that weight. man that would bite trying to get that down. When I go wheeling, until I build a new rear carrier, the tire goes inside strapped to where the rear seat used to secure to the floor.

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
again...i said it wasnt practical or very useful, and yes my spare tire is still on, i just took it off to see what it looked like with the tire on, and though that it looked pretty cool and seemed to be pretty simple, so i figured that some1 had done it (ppl are always doing crazy stuff on here, no matter what it is)

so please stop saying that you would rather have the tire on the back, cause i would too, and that is why mine is on there

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
so are you talking about adding on on in addition to your spare being on there. I am not sure I follow what exactly it is you want. Do you want to fab up a jerry can holder to go on next to where youe spare mounts, on that can come on and off depending on if you want to look cool or what? Or do you want to mount just a jerry can holder where your spare currently is and put that somewhere else?

Yeah, I helped a guy who had a 35 mounted on his roof. That sucked @ss. I would definately not put mine up there. I think I am going to hold out and build or buy a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier and possibly add on a jerry can holder. I have yet to go anywhere that far froma fuel station yet, but was damn close on the way to S. Padre from UT one time.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
i since have my 35 mounted on the carrier, but just had to move my bracket over for the jerry can. i have also since made a new hold down for the can, that has a lock on it. no more straps. ha.
but you get the picture. no problem holding the gas and tire so far. the new tire carrier is mid way done, just waiting on the spindle.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why would I want to put something else on the truck that sucks down the gas. The truck is doing a good enough job of that on its own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts