Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the most common problem with the gas gauge not working. i plan to drop the tank in a month or so and find the problem, i am just looking for places to start. thanks josh

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
i was having a oil pressure guage problem late last year, my dad did some research for me and found, if i remember right, 86-94 BKOs had problems with the guage cluster. im not sure if im remembering this right. i would check all the wiring first. make sure everything is connected right and the grounds are good. if all the wires are good, then i would take a look see at the sending unit.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
Dont drop the tank order an access plate from steve83 it makes it so much easier than dropping the tank. it took about tten minutes to cut the hole and about 30 minutes to repalce the pump and redop the sending unit wires., ( i redid them to make them better not cause they needed it) and about 15 minutes of calling for a new float and about 20 miutes to get the new float and put it on. dropping the tank would have added hours to this process.

ken

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
EdsonBronco said:
my 87 is pinned on full until it drops to about 1/4, then it shakes and starts to fluctuate never giving a steady reading. I have searched to my hearts content and all I every read is ground problems.

Jeff
That sounds like a bad rheostat. You will have to replace the sender unit in the tank.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
go to ford and buy the complete pump/float/sender, i only spent $142 on mine and is worth never having to replace any other part on it for a long time even if you make the access panel which i didnt. Droping the tank isnt to hard if you have someone to help and this is little to no gas in the tank.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
...check your wireing from the cab exit down frame rails, to the top of of the tank , no cuts breaks or pinches,?.....test voltage in sending wires at the middle of the frame would be easiest, good,?.( a cheap digital $16 autozone voltmeter is good to have on hand..).....if you can get your arm over the top of the tank feel around to make sure the wires are connected and no breaks, good ,? you sure,?......drop tank............................(BE ADVISED, GET THE GAS OUT FIRST,AND MOVE IT TO A SAFE SPOT, IT SOUNDS, LIKE A NO BRAINER BUT I WATCHED TWO VEHICLES BURN UP BECAUSE WE THOUGHT WE DIDNT HAVE TO BE EXTRA CAREFULL, AND IT DOESNT TAKE MUCH TO CAUSE AN ENORMOUS FIRE IF YOU DONT TAKE THE RIGHT PRECAUTIONS....!! DONT END UP LIKE MY BUDDY WITH THE CRISPY ARM !! BECAUSE YOU WANTED TO CUT CORNERS... ) .......................................................... and pull out sending unit and pump ,ground sending unit, and move float up and down slowly any change on the gauge,?.....if not replace sending unit...the chances of the gauge itself being dead are very very small,...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.