Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the factory gas guage working again. I just bought the truck and the person that owned it prior to me added another gas guage that the drilled into the lower dash panel oposite of the rear window switch. That gas guage works well which leads be to believe that the float is fine. I do not know if the guage was pegged full or just not reading. Currently it is in the empty position.

Should I reconnect it first to figure out what the problem is with the guage?

Is there a wiring diagram somewhere for the backside of the instrument cluster?

I have an 88 Bronco with tilt.

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
There are a lot of threads already with gas gauge questions, I would run a search after you isolate your issue.

Generally there are 2 areas of concern, either the gauge or the sender. Sender can be simple, like a bad ground..... or nasty, like a bad sender that needs replaced.....meaning the tank has to be dropped.

In your case, since the PO added another gauge, the sender must be "ok" and the issue is probablythe factory gauge. Your options are j/y; used; or finding an OEM one. New ones can be expensive. Deals can be had on Ebay, or here after you get the requisite 75 posts to go fishing on that forum.

I doubt you need a wiring diagram....this time. There is a circuit board and the modules plug into it. If you need one (always good to have around) the Haynes manuals are good, but the factory manuals are the best.....just pricey.

Just hope the PO spliced into the wires, vs cutting them out of the loom. Have yourself a look and report back.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,
Testing in 87-96; Fuel Gauge Moves from E to below E; "...Disconnect the connector at the fuel tank, ground the yellow with white tracer wire (make sure you have a good ground),
turn the key on-if the gauge goes to empty, chances are, the fuel sender is the problem.
If the gauge doesn't move, then recheck the grounding of the Y/W wire,if it is good then the problem is is forward of the sender (wiring/connectors/instrument cluster)..." Source: by 85bigbronco at FSB

check connector at Fuel tank to see if PO spliced in the new gauge w/new wiring - if no new wriing is there, see if PO installed wiring to cluster connector for new gauge. if at Cluster Connector, then we have to say the gauge was bad.

Wiring Diagram in an 89
from
Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at SuperMotors.net

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There are a lot of threads already with gas gauge questions, I would run a search after you isolate your issue.

Generally there are 2 areas of concern, either the gauge or the sender. Sender can be simple, like a bad ground..... or nasty, like a bad sender that needs replaced.....meaning the tank has to be dropped.

In your case, since the PO added another gauge, the sender must be "ok" and the issue is probablythe factory gauge. Your options are j/y; used; or finding an OEM one. New ones can be expensive. Deals can be had on Ebay, or here after you get the requisite 75 posts to go fishing on that forum.

I doubt you need a wiring diagram....this time. There is a circuit board and the modules plug into it. If you need one (always good to have around) the Haynes manuals are good, but the factory manuals are the best.....just pricey.

Just hope the PO spliced into the wires, vs cutting them out of the loom. Have yourself a look and report back.
he also could have swaped in a newer tank, so i would check the ohms when the tank is empty vs when its full and make sure it matches with the 88 specs if not you going to need a 90-91 fuel guage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts