Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 78 the gas guage doesnt seem to register anything in the tank. I checked underneath and from the tank runs an orange, and a black wires up to the front then inside the cab. I took the dash apart, removed the instrument panel, and everything seems to be hooked up correctly. I get 2-4 V constantly through the orange wire. I did notice when I start it up the gauge goes up slightly, but not even past the E mark. Anyone have an ideas here on the problem?

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
could be your floater mine does the same thing

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the floater/sending unit the same thing, and how do access them?

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Grains said:
is the floater/sending unit the same thing, and how do access them?

no and you have to drop the tank to get to them

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was afraid you were going to say that...

·
Banned
238 Posts
redwagon said:
you can always do like some others have and cut an access panel in the floor.
wouldnt this cause heavy fumes inside the truck? I was thinking about doing this but we have a newborn and i was afraid of the fumes.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
tucker1251 said:
wouldnt this cause heavy fumes inside the truck? I was thinking about doing this but we have a newborn and i was afraid of the fumes.
not that I am aware of...you seal the plate when you screw it back down.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
..most likely the float. To see if yr gage is working on the '78 you need to simply short the orange sender wire to the frame somewhere and verify the needle on yr fuel gage pegs past full. If it does then its all in the sender..and all the failed ones I have seen were the float sank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts