Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Eddie Bauer 302, 4” lift 33’s, 4.56’s
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, didn’t think I would be back so soon but the ol girl had other ideas. I just recently did new plugs/wires and coil, and the bronco was running the best it ever has. But just recently it will surge and the gas pedal physically moves on its own. I have never seen this before and I’m very confused. My only thought is some kind of vacuum problem? I can’t seem to find anyone else that has dealt with a gas pedal having a kind of its own

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,387 Posts
My 1st question would be do you have cruise control?

Reactions: OdinsBeard

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
961 Posts
302 EFI? OR was it swapped to carburetor? Throttle return spring in good shape?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, went and did a check under the hood and it does look like there’s a vacuum operated linkage which I assume is cruise control. I was unaware it had this since I bought it with an aftermarket steering wheel already on

·
Registered
961 Posts
Update, went and did a check under the hood and it does look like there’s a vacuum operated linkage which I assume is cruise control. I was unaware it had this since I bought it with an aftermarket steering wheel already on
Well there ya go, somehow that's getting vacuum...id pull the hose off of the canister near the firewall and plug the hose, see if that solves your problem.

Also you have hoses under the dash at the brake pedal, you're getting some leak or something somewhere, best to find the main line that feeds all that stuff and just disconnect and plug.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well there ya go, somehow that's getting vacuum...id pull the hose off of the canister near the firewall and plug the hose, see if that solves your problem.

Also you have hoses under the dash at the brake pedal, you're getting some leak or something somewhere, best to find the main line that feeds all that stuff and just disconnect and plug.
Thanks for the info! Looks like I’m off to chasing vacuum leaks. Although I am relieved this is what the issue is. Honestly there for a minute I thought Christine possessed my bronco 😂😂

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for the info! Looks like I’m off to chasing vacuum leaks. Although I am relieved this is what the issue is. Honestly there for a minute I thought Christine possessed my bronco 😂😂
Funny you said that....because i 100% for real was about to ask you if it was named Christine lol.

·
Super Moderator
29,053 Posts
Yo OdinsBeard,
●See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 includes jowens1126 HVAC Control Panel info & Mikey350's High Idle Tests @ Help with dtc codes and idle
EXCERPTS;
When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document
Font Parallel Motor vehicle Auto part Screenshot
World Organism Font Rectangle Parallel

Reactions: jermil01
1 - 11 of 11 Posts